Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
jlhammans

Default Old Adventures and New TFT

I just received my IWIA box last night so I haven't done a thorough reading, but I do know there have been some small changes since my 1st edition set of rules.

Is there a list of the changes between the old version and the new version?

Any game changers that would break say "Orbquest" or "Warrior-Lords of Darok"?

I did try to dig through the forum a bit, but couldn't seem to find the answer.
jlhammans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Old Adventures and New TFT

Character advancement differs in three ways:
  • Attribute advance hits a brick wall in the high 30s
  • IQ no longer limits the number of spells and talents for experienced characters
  • Wizard staves now have multiple levels with advanced attacks and powerstone like abilities
There are a number of new loopholes like easier wish generation, but it's largely the same game.

To make a high level NPC plausible under the new rules do the following:
  • Trim total attributes down to the 36 to 42 range
  • For each attribute point you deleted add $5k or 1k XP in things other than attributes.
  • Check for the slight changes in gear
So for example a high level NPC wizard would lower stats down to say ST 8 DX 10 IQ 20 and then add a +4 DX ring and twenty to forty Staff mana.

Last edited by hcobb; 03-23-2019 at 11:45 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
larsdangly

Right; the main issue you'll encounter is that the old modules are full of NPCs that can't arise from normal character creation and experience under the new system. You could just act like you are playing T+T or something and accept that the monsters and NPCs work under different rules than you do. Or descope them.

Another, related peculiarity you will run across is that some humanoids that are suitable for player characters get different point totals when generated as PCs than they do when encountered as monsters (the gargoyle is the clearest example). Similarly, reptile men are effectively 'nerfed'. Presumably this was done so that all PC's encounter the same stat progression curve.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
JLV

There are also a few new talents and effects, which means you'd need to think about how good the villains/NPCs were in the original rules and possibly adjust their talents a bit to keep them at the same level of opposition. It's more of a guesstimate than something you can easily quantify, though.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote