Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
guymc

Default How am I going to sort/store these counters?

Wow.
Still reeling from the reality of having this wealth of TFT stuff all at once. I bought extra counter sets and extra megahexes, too. The megahexes store perfectly in the boxes provided. But what in the heck am I going to do with all these counters?
I figure a clear plastic tackle box arrangement will be the best hope for keeping them sorted for play. (Probably several such boxes. I doubt one will be enough.) I would prefer fully separated compartments, as counters may slip underneath pop-in dividers. But I’ll also need places big enough for two, three and four hex figures.
(That big dragon is going to stay in the megahex box it came in. I got one in each extra set of megahexes I bought, and you KNOW I want an excuse to drop three of them on the board simultaneously just to watch my players have apoplexy. But I digress...)
There are a metric buttlolad of such boxes available, I suppose. But which is “just right”? Anyone got one brand or type they think is outstanding?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: How am I going to sort/store these counters?

You know what? THIS is the most germane comment yet made on this game being received by people. It's something that I gave absolutely ZERO thought to at the time, but it's actually pretty darn important... (Minimizing set-up time is fairly important -- especially in hobby shop game nights or convention play.)

I wonder if Hobby Lobby or Michaels or someone has something suitable for storing craft supplies that might just be perfect for this. What do people store their miniatures in?
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #3
FireHorse

Search Amazon, Michaels, or even Office Depot for "organizer box" and you'll find many possibilities that will work fine with the normal counters (and many of them for less than $10, too). I'm not so sure about the larger multi-hex counters, though… but there aren't many of those, so maybe they can go with the Megahexes.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:36 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Storing Counters: Please follow the Warehouse 23 Kickstarter account before the end of this month.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/warehouse23/created
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
ColBosch

Mom, Phil's vagueposting again!

Right now I've got my counters in bags inside the Legacy box, but this is definitely suboptimal. There's 112 one-hex counters, and even sorting out the obvious critters still leaves quite a few pieces to go through when I need that one figure with a morningstar and shield. The Adventures pack-ins are just going to make things worse, let alone future supplements.

I know a lot of folks swear by Plano cases. I've used similar to sort my Star Fleet Battles/Federation Commander counters. They just don't feel very "cool fantasy gaming" to me.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
larsdangly

Hah! I was thinking about exactly the same thing as I repacked all my stuff this morning (though I'll never understand why my family thinks they have some sort of right of access to the dinner table...). My short term solution is that I'm punching them as I use them, and storing them in a little clear plastic organizer box with moveable dividers (repurposed from my Panzer Blitz collection). But that won't last, as I too have a full second set of all tiles and markers coming with my add ons.

On a related note, I'd like to apply maximum peer pressure on SJG to round out the selection of hex tiles and chits with another wave of offerings. The basic model they worked up for the first KS is primo and has me thinking, 'yes; more of that!'

I'll follow Phil's coquettish vagueposts with interest.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Storing Counters: Please follow the Warehouse 23 Kickstarter account before the end of this month.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/warehouse23/created
You guys are KILLING me! (In a totally good way...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
...(though I'll never understand why my family thinks they have some sort of right of access to the dinner table...).
What IS it with those family peeps, anyway? ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 03-23-2019 at 12:11 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Witchstar

I've been meaning to ask about this as well. I'm having trouble deciding how I want to sort them.

At first I thought I'd keep each group of counters with the box they came in, so I could take Melee or Wizard or whatever to a friend's house to play a quick game without having to take all my counters. But since there's no way tell which counter came from which product by looking at them, I'm sure they'll just get mixed up when playing bigger games, so trying to keep them sorted by product seems impractical. I would also think sorting them like that would make it harder to find appropriate counters for combat scenarios when playing the game as an RPG, having to sort through various collections of heroes and monsters mixed together.

So I'm curious how other people are doing it =)
Witchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
larsdangly

I feel like the pocket box is the right format for those quick games where you bring everything together in one 'unit', and that the supplies you want to play the full game are all so much bigger in scale and larger in number that you should go ahead and transfer them to a separate organizer.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
You guys are KILLING me! (In a totally good way...)
Just doing our part.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote