Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Crossbows and Ready Weapon option?

Am I correct in understanding that after a figure fires a light crossbow, they have to spend a turn doing Ready Weapon before they can fire it again, and that after a figure fires a heavy crossbow, they have to spend two turns doing Ready Weapon before they can fire it again?

On a related note, if a character is carrying multiple boomerangs, they would also have to spend a turn doing Ready Weapon after throwing one before they could throw another, unless they had a second one readied in their "off" hand, in which case they could throw it again immediately but would take a DX penalty? [Unless, of course, they were ambidextrous? :) ]
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Crossbows and Ready Weapon option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
On a related note, if a character is carrying multiple boomerangs, they would also have to spend a turn doing Ready Weapon after throwing one before they could throw another, unless they had a second one readied in their "off" hand, in which case they could throw it again immediately but would take a DX penalty? [Unless, of course, they were ambidextrous? :) ]
ITL 37:
Boomerang (1). Prerequisite: Thrown Weapons.
Thrown Weapons (2): ... He can also throw any weapon on the same turn he readies it.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Interesting. That certainly seems to justify the comment in the "Flinger and Blob" article in the Companion book that boomerangs obsolete light crossbows.

Boomerangs do one point less damage each, but you can carry two of them for the weight of a light crossbow and you can fire them on back to back turns, which is enormously useful during the initial closing phase of a fight.

Am I playing the crossbows correctly? And an interesting followup question: given that it takes two turns of "Ready Weapon" option to ready a heavy crossbow, do those turns have to be back-to-back? I can't find anything asserting that, so I infer the answer would be no. [Presumably the first ready is re-cocking the thing, and the second turn is loading the heavy bolt, or somesuch.]

Does this seem right to everyone else?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Kale

You can carry an awful lot more crossbow bolts than boomerangs, so you are less ammo restricted with crossbows over the longer haul...?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
HeatDeath

The logistics are different, for sure. If you win the skirmish, or even if you're reasonably clever during the skirmish, you can recover your boomerangs. I don't know if crossbow bolts are typically recoverable, and the ITL rulebook seems silent on the issue.

OTOH, it certainly wouldn't take a very sadistic GM to contrive a situations where your cleverly min-maxed boomerang-based character build becomes completely useless. Like putting you in a running carriage wagon chase. >:)

For myself, I tend to play individual Melee/Wizard skirmishes, rather than running ITL campaigns, and boomerangs aren't even in the base Melee rule set, probably in part because of these considerations - they aren't quite mathematically balanced with the rest of the weapons, and therefore require some subtle attention from a human GM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Am I correct in understanding that after a figure fires a light crossbow, they have to spend a turn doing Ready Weapon before they can fire it again, and that after a figure fires a heavy crossbow, they have to spend two turns doing Ready Weapon before they can fire it again
You are correct. This would be hand cocking.

Quote:
Am I playing the crossbows correctly? And an interesting followup question: given that it takes two turns of "Ready Weapon" option to ready a heavy crossbow, do those turns have to be back-to-back? I can't find anything asserting that, so I infer the answer would be no. [Presumably the first ready is re-cocking the thing, and the second turn is loading the heavy bolt, or somesuch.]

Does this seem right to everyone else?
If you are strong enough to use the crossbow, you're strong enough to cock it by hand and not need a cranequin (detachable crank). Using a cranequin takes 12 turns to fully cock. I would say that if you are handpicking the crossbow, it would have to be back to back.

ITL page 116 Cranequin: A partially-wound-up crossbow can be set down without unwinding, if necessary; the work will not be lost.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
hcobb

You can't brand a boomerang.

Typical fighter:

ST 12 DX 11 IQ 9 MA 10
Light Crossbow(2d+2 for brand, shot per turn due to adjDX 14), Broadsword(2d), Very fine dagger(1d+1/1d+3 HTH), Brand(1d-2), Small shield(1), Toughness(1)
Crossbow, Missile Weapons x3, Sword, Shield, Toughness I

$50 Light Crossbow
$20 Quarrels x 20
$420 branding x 7
$80 Broadsword
$200 Very fine dagger
$30 Small shield
$30 Labyrinth kit
$5 Belt pouch
$60 Branded stick
$40 Backpack
$5 one quart wine
$10 Two days rations
$50 Clothing

Last edited by hcobb; 03-10-2019 at 07:49 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
larsdangly

It's almost criminal that the boomerang exception clause didn't get fixed in the Legacy edition. It is one of a small number of really dumb, broken things about the mechanics, and it would be so easy to fix. Like, don't let a thrown stick do 2d-1 damage (!!!!!). Or, have a thrown weapon use the thrown weapon range modifiers. If any of my players ever pays enough attention to the rules to figure out that for 1 talent point they can have an auto-fire light cross bow, I will nerf the crap out of it. Luckily none of them care about the whole combat optimization mind game so it hasn't come up.

What drives me nuts about the boomerang is its comparison with other weapons. Would you rather have someone hurl a javelin into a random body part, or get hit by a boomerang? It is totally obvious that a person in mail armor with a shield is immune to any number of boomerangs flung at them, but should be mindful of a bunch of hurled spears. Yet the game says they are in mortal danger from a boomerang tosser a dozen yards away, while a spear hurler half that far away is a meaningless distraction.

Last edited by larsdangly; 03-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
hcobb

Boomerang requires three talent points this side of a halfling. Crossbow only requires one.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
larsdangly

I'd forgotten you needed thrown weapons for it. Anyway, the double-whammy of a high damage combined with missile weapon range makes it unreasonable at almost any talent point cost. I think they should have put extreme advantages like that into some sort of mastery-tier talents, like they did for the melee weapons and unarmed combat.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote