Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Helborn

Default Turn Missile Item?

My search did not turn anything about this up but there is no item for the new spell "Turn missiles" Is that deliberate or an oversight?

Added: Following other such items, I would think that it would have no ST cost which would make it a cheaper and preferable alternative to "Reverse Missiles"

Last edited by Helborn; 10-02-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added
Helborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Turn Missile Item?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
My search did not turn anything about this up but there is no item for the new spell "Turn missiles" Is that deliberate or an oversight?

Added: Following other such items, I would think that it would have no ST cost which would make it a cheaper and preferable alternative to "Reverse Missiles"
Yeah I think just about zero of the new spells have magic items listed, though there are a few new other magic items.

I prefer as many magic items as bearable to have some ST cost or else they become "well of course it's always on" super-power like things.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I prefer as many magic items as bearable to have some ST cost or else they become "well of course it's always on" super-power like things.
Even though it is nowhere stated, my usage has always been that a 0 cost item can be turned on and off at will. SJ used that rule for GURPS but it was our practice from the beginning with TFT - even though magic items were few and far between.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Even though it is nowhere stated, my usage has always been that a 0 cost item can be turned on and off at will. SJ used that rule for GURPS but it was our practice from the beginning with TFT - even though magic items were few and far between.
Yes, but the problem we had is people were NEVER turning off their self-powered magic items, essentially becoming super powers of the character who never turned it off. We eventually disliked that enough to house rule a magic-item breakdown chance that got people to only use magic items when needed.

A no-cost Turn Missiles would presumably cost less that self-powered Reverse Missiles, which was already one of the clear target magic items to want. It would shift the balance even more towards people with magic items being superhuman by virtue of magic items. Also hopefully the item would not work against the main way to counter magic items: hitting them with lightning, which of course is a missile... if it did turn lightning without risking destruction, and is cheaper than self-powered Reverse Missiles, then it seems to me like a big balance-changing item (in a direction I personally wouldn't want, but people who want to be safe from getting shot and having their items destroyed would like).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote