Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-30-2018, 01:53 AM   #11
JLV

Default Re: ITL Creatures of Cidri - Good and Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Even after following this forum and seeing all the roads different people go down? ;-)
But what difference does that make? Your complaint was about the books fitting the Cidri/TFT zeitgeist, not what individuals may choose to do with them once they have them. As the author of the book, I'm sure Steve will make sure any monsters/beasts/creatures he puts in there will match the Cidri flavor. Simply reprinting the GURPS stuff with some new stats would hardly be the quality of work we've come to expect from SJG.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Skarg

It seems like many details that seemed clear to me are not so clear to many others who I would've thought they'd be clear to, sometimes even after several other people also try to explain them. So I sometimes start to feel a sense of duty to point things out and disagree when it seems like there is a point that's valuable to keep in mind.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
JLV

Actually, the more I think about this, it seems like Steve could put in anything he wanted, and it would still be "Cidri." After all, doesn't the description of Cidri say that anything you can imagine will be there, somewhere? That means if he wanted to put in flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz and the Nazgul from LotR, they are just as "Cidri" as anything else is, based on the underlying premise of the rules and the Cidri game-world themselves.

And, as an intelligent GM, it's entirely up to me if I actually allow any such creatures in my game-world. (Though, you gotta admit, flying monkeys...especially with those cute little head-waiter uniforms...)

So I guess my position would be: "Include the Kitchen Sink, because I can always disallow it, but in the meantime, actually having stats for one would be helpful when I want to design something similar of my own!"

I understand that you have a certain mental vision of what constitutes "Cidri" and "TFT" and don't want that somehow ruined by whatever gets published, but I imagine many other people do too, and the odds of them agreeing with your specific mental vision 100% must be vanishingly small...
Old 09-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Skarg

Yes. I get what you mean, and don't disagree.

As I mentioned on another thread, yes ITL does say Cidri is big and diverse enough to include practically anything anyone will ever imagine and more...

... but also, it then does specify quite a few things in quite a bit of specific and homogenous detail. Some of that seems clearly to give a context so we can play and have some standard expectations, which I both really appreciate and like, and which I also do greatly make (and appreciate many others') exceptions to.

... and it also does have a bit of its own flavor, which personally I (and it seems you too, actually) think clashes with some of the things in the 3e GURPS Fantasy Folk and Fantasy Bestiary, which would want some consideration.

And again, I'm sorry to have come across as discouraging to your idea. Certainly, many ideas and details from those books are cool and fun and of course they can be in Cidri, and I'm sure you didn't mean to just copy everything without thinking about if there's anything interesting to think about what it'd mean to add each thing to the mix.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #15
JLV

Skarg -- you're absolutely right in what you're saying. And yes, I actually agree with your position a lot more than it probably sounds like from my above posts. But I keep trying to remember that what *I* think of as "Cidri" (and "TFT" for that matter) probably isn't exactly like what anyone else thinks of them as, and that forces me to acknowledge that what I would probably disallow in my game world would probably be the ultimate goodness in someone else's. Darn kids.

So yes, to a very large degree you and I would probably be very comfortable in each other's game worlds. But still, if those flying monkeys make it into the book, I'm going to be very tempted... ;-)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
Skarg

I've actually enjoyed summoning teams of flying monkeys to go abduct foes in another game...
Old 09-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
JLV

Oh, now you're just teasing me... ;-)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #18
Chris Rice

" complaint - a whole host of "common" mythological creatures are still not part of the official TFT rules, a glaring problem from 1980 to present. Obvious stuff, such as Minotaurs, Manticores, Chimeras, Gorgons, Strix, Mummies, etc. etc. etc. are not to be found. Why? It's not as if D&D owns the copyright to Greek myth - no reason that any and all of these (along with many more) should not have become part of the official rules."

There was certainly an article in one of the Magazines (Different Worlds?) on Mythological Monsters for TFT. I'm. It sure if the team are aware of it or whether it will be in the Companion.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 AM   #19
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
It sure if the team are aware of it or whether it will be in the Companion.
We are aware of it. We have not been able to reach the author of the article; this article will not be in the Companion.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #20
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Though, you gotta admit, flying monkeys...especially with those cute little head-waiter uniforms...
Nay! They are clearly bellhop. It’s all in the cap.