Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Varmint loads (.22/.223/.22-250/etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
I don't know anybody who has hunted in Maine, but relatives hunted in Québec which can't be too different. Single or double barreled break-action 12 gauge for ducks and geese, a .303, .30-06, or .270 for deer, elk, and moose, and a .22LR for plinking and keeping rabbits and groundhogs out of the garden. Think I saw a .243 maybe twice.

Nowadays people are moving to .308 and 7mm magnums. Look up ammo sales, those exotic varmint calibers don't exist outside of magazines.
Exotic sporting goods are advertised in magazines to appeal to, in the main, two types of people. First, there are those hardcore tech nuts who are so fanatical about their hobby as to spend a significant fraction of their disposable income on special-purpose tools they do not need and are always looking for an excuse to justify another purchase, even if they can barely afford it. Second, there are those rich enough to buy top of the line gear for any casual hobby they might have and flaunt their ability to have just the right expensive equipment for even niche needs as a form of conspicious consumption.

The arsenal of special purpose hunting weapons in the cabin is an example of the second type of consumer. The people in the cabin range from Wealthy and upwards, with Filthy Rich being the approximate median. Clayborn Allen, the guy who owns most of the guns as part of an arsenal of high-quality hunting arms to lend to guests, is a Multimillionaire 2.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Exotic sporting goods are advertised in magazines to appeal to, in the main, two types of people. First, there are those hardcore tech nuts who are so fanatical about their hobby as to spend a significant fraction of their disposable income on special-purpose tools they do not need and are always looking for an excuse to justify another purchase, even if they can barely afford it. Second, there are those rich enough to buy top of the line gear for any casual hobby they might have and flaunt their ability to have just the right expensive equipment for even niche needs as a form of conspicious consumption.
I think you described just about every hobby with expensive equipment.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
I think you described just about every hobby with expensive equipment.
Intentionally so.

Tags
ammunition, high-tech, hunting, wound channel modifier