Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #511
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

And Old Smokey is covered with cheese?
(Combining the original song with the parody.)
Perhaps that poor world suffers a series of reality quakes involving food from song and fiction.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #512
robkelk
Untitled

And for the older (and poorer) inhabitants, there's Big Rock Candy Mountain...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #513
Astromancer

The Big Rock Candy Mountain has a mythic quality, Candyland would simply be weird.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #514
Flyndaran
Untagged

The underlying theme of Big Rock Candy Mountain definitely sounds too "mundane" heaven, I agree. I guess I never listened to the words and assumed wrongly from the title.
Maybe it could fit as an offshoot of a dreamscape adjustable by strong minds.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #515
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Jam Bunty Mines of the Ditty Men.
That's Diddy men. And half the oil wells in Texas will have changed to treacle.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #516
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The underlying theme of Big Rock Candy Mountain definitely sounds too "mundane" heaven, I agree. ...
Children are often wide-eyed idealists. Adults, not so much... hence the discrepancy between the two areas.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #517
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think that's arguable. Children know less about how reality works or appears to work, but I don't think that necessarily equates to idealism.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #518
robkelk
Untitled

I've seen it, at many times, in many societies, in many places - the children are the ones who accept differences, the adults are not. That's at least part of how I define idealism...
Old 09-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #519
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would call that adaptability in the face of the unknown or wrongly known. I don't see how that fits with ideals.
Oh, you're using the more esoteric philosophical definition. I was using the common language version.
I see your point now, and mostly agree.
I was a very material-minded kid, but fully admit to being abnormal for humanity in that regard.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #520
fchase8

The White Visitation

On a Quantum 5 parallel, year 2015 with no invention of parachronics, ten years earlier a massive flying saucer arrived and hovered above central Manhattan (roughly above the south end of Central Park). About half as wide as Manhattan, it hovered for four minutes and 28 seconds, before taking off, tracked leaving the system in approximately the direction of Earth's spiral arm (towards the center of the galaxy).

Despite lots of human attempts at communication, in a variety of ways, it never responded or showed any acknowledgement of humanity in general - save for hovering above the center of New York City, the closest place Earth has to a world economic & governmental capital.

After the initial news (the nickname is from a Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow reference that somehow made it on The Today Show at the time) and hysteria, there has been little impact on society. There is more space industry interest, but nothing huge. Culture has largely ignored the event, as it was too big and mysterious to get a grip on – for instance, Lost's plot was the same way as IRL, and The Vatican just calls it part of "God's mysterious ways" (and points the finger back at scientists, who also can't explain it).

There are a lot more UFO cults & conspiracy theorists - and even more tourists in NYC (authorities at Rockefeller Center and Central Park have to handle the crowds, that can include crazies). But as the world gears up for the tenth anniversary of 'The White Visitation', no one has any more explanations.

Outworld Operations

Infinity sincerely hopes that the UFO never returns, as it is worried about a world with a power alien that is on the same quantum as Homeline. Thankfully Infinity has kept its existence secret on Homeline, but is worried about swagmen revealing it & selling footage of the encounter.

The only visitors allowed on the timeline are I-Cop spies who monitor the world's many telescopes, after having previously copied all the monitoring data of the encounter (which revealed nothing new).
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds