Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
chrisd

Default Space Munchkin Anti-Matter and Solar flare interaction

This came up in early in a game, one player only had one item, the Bananafanafofaser, a complex item with a bonus when she opened a door she was hit by the anti-matter trap turning her Bananafanafofaser into a negative bonus, next turn she still only has Bananafanafofaser opens a door and gets hit by a solar flare - this destroys one complex item and the only item she has is the Bananafanafofaser, so does this get rid of the Bananafanafofaser or does the wording on the anti-matter card take precedence?

On this occasion as it was also her first game, and we needed to keep the game moving, we ruled that the solar flare as the most recent trap won out and discarded the Bananafanafofaser.

Any one got any better ideas?

Chris
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Space Munchkin Anti-Matter and Solar flare interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd
This came up in early in a game, one player only had one item, the Bananafanafofaser, a complex item with a bonus when she opened a door she was hit by the anti-matter trap turning her Bananafanafofaser into a negative bonus, next turn she still only has Bananafanafofaser opens a door and gets hit by a solar flare - this destroys one complex item and the only item she has is the Bananafanafofaser, so does this get rid of the Bananafanafofaser or does the wording on the anti-matter card take precedence?

On this occasion as it was also her first game, and we needed to keep the game moving, we ruled that the solar flare as the most recent trap won out and discarded the Bananafanafofaser.

Any one got any better ideas?

Chris
I'd allow it.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Technically, anything hit with Antimatter is no longer an Item and therefore the Solar Flare wouldn't affect it. However, in the interest of moving things along, I can understand why you did what you did.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Socrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Technically, anything hit with Antimatter is no longer an Item and therefore the Solar Flare wouldn't affect it.
Wait! What do you mean, saying "is no longer an Item"? I thougt that Item that was hit with Antimatter is still an Item, but it's bonus is negative. Am I wrong?
Socrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
chrisd

I was thinking that the conflict was between the anti-matter card stating that the only way to get rid of the item affected by it was discarding your hand and the solar flare destorying a complex item.

Chris
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

For all intents and purposes, it's now just a penalty that you can't get rid of except for giving up 2 Levels (that you must actually have to lose) (unless you use a Wishing Ring or some other card which specifically cancels a Curse/Trap). It can't be sold, it can't be lost to another curse that takes Items, it can't be traded. So, again, I say, for all intents and purposes, as long as the card is under the effects of Trap! Antimatter, it's no longer an Item.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Socrat

May be I'm stupid, but the Antimatter card says that Item with highest bonus "now carries penalty equal to it's former bonus...You can discard it at any time, but it will cost you 2 Levels. Nothing else will reduce or remove the penalty and there is no other way to get rid of this item"
So, the card says, that it is still an Item. Did I miss something?
Socrat is offline   Reply With Quote