Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-28-2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Car Wars @ Kublacon 2018

Well, I felt my previous version of my previous post was mean spirited, and I didn't want it to come across like that. Some guys in the last few years at the Citizens of the Imperium have talked about playing Traveller with their kids.

Me, I picked up Star Fleet Battles in ... 78? 80? I can't remember, but I couldn't play it, but wanted to. And I think it's cool if young boys and girls want to play, then that's cool.

If it had been a tournament game, then that's another story. Everyone should game. Watching your best friend or children roll "6" on the crash table makes the world go around >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #12
Chernobyl

I remember one of the girls asking "how can I die on the first turn?"
I was like, then why play?

the game description for this year's event.

"Classic Car Wars meets the Sacramento Cal Expo! A division 40 match using the central feature of the state fairgrounds as inspiration. Like last year this event will be "matchbox scale" or 3x the size of normal car wars. All materials provided. Classic Car Wars requires so mature players please. "

was supposed to read "requires patience, so..."

Last edited by Chernobyl; 05-01-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: quote
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Blue Ghost

LOL, I remember going to Cal Expo as a kid. Life comes full circle with this upcoming event. >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #14
Chernobyl

yeah, with the Dumbarton Slalom and now my own Cal Expo creation I'm thinking I'll make a series of Northern California based arenas. Where next, Chico? Fort Bragg? Stockton? ideas? lol
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
yeah, with the Dumbarton Slalom and now my own Cal Expo creation I'm thinking I'll make a series of Northern California based arenas. Where next, Chico? Fort Bragg? Stockton? ideas? lol
FWIW, I'd strongly advocate building a colorful 3D arena first. Player turnout is much, much better. Cost is higher for materials (and more work to set up), but the eye candy factor is huge. Pick something with interesting features that an appealing color scheme could be applied to.

Even if you don't go 3D, color would make a difference. Compared to today's games, most of the grey-scale arenas are pretty dull to look at.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #16
Chernobyl

I don't know that I'll ever go 3D arena build. Too much time, too much hassle to store and transport, which is the most important factor for me. I used to be a HUGE miniature gamer, was big into Epic Space Marine and Necromunda back in the day, and 40K to a lesser extent. Made lots of gangs and armies, and terrain. It gets beat up in transport, is awkward to store otherwise.
This year's event arena has some color but you're right that more complex designs are eye candy. I don't think I'll have trouble finding 10 players at a venue like kublacon anyway. I had 8 at a much smaller con in sacramento.

I have already drawn up a version of the Rubberway, and added a nice logo to it, drawing on the tire theme. But that arena is in Ohio and I want something local.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #17
Chernobyl

Designed a new car for Kubla's event, the Backfire.
Sedan, Twin RR's front, FT back, Jump Jets for +1/2" upward acecel.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #18
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
I don't know that I'll ever go 3D arena build. Too much time, too much hassle to store and transport, which is the most important factor for me.
What I'm trying to do with my arena (the one named for me :) ) is to make it like those 3D foam-board puzzles, so it can be taken down and stored flat (or mostly flat, as it happens).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #19
Chernobyl

sounds good. I have a lot of projects I'd love to get into but it seems I need to retire first to get around to them :)

In other news, I've gotten the table assignment from the game coordinator for Kubla, look for us in the Regency Foyer between the Regency Ballroom and Harbor A and B. Should be lots of foot traffic seeing our awesome event :)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #20
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
No, yeah, totally.

I think in that scenario you have to cater to everyone at the table, even if it's on multiple levels. Bend the rules, get fantastical, and tell everyone up front that this won't be a typical Car Wars game.

I YEARS ago was visiting SoCal and played a CW game with Rob Hagmaier at his house with his gaming buds. It just so happened that all his crew needed a slight rule variant break and so they added a heavy Munchkin element to that particular game. I hadn't heard of Munchkin at the time, but was happy to roll with it, and ended up having a ton of fun.

EDIT: and speaking of Hagmaier, here's a rad link to some (arena) design advice:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/277...obert-hagmaier
saw your link, that's for car design not arena design :) still a good read.

I did dig out my old AADA survival guide, for the West Coast, found a couple named arenas in Stockton and Tuolome (the latter sounds like an offroad arena) so those are strong candidates for next year's events. I also know of a couple small paved tracks and some motorcross style tracks in my area that I may appropriate for arenas.

Last edited by Chernobyl; 05-10-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: new news