Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
ammulder

Default Mines & Oversize Vehicles

If a mine (doing underbody damage) affects a ten-wheeler or semi, does it affect the underbody of the cab/tractor, the underbody of the carrier/trailer, or both?

I suppose a related question would be, which are affected when only part of the oversize vehicle passes through a flaming oil or flame cloud counter?
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
juris

Default Re: Mines & Oversize Vehicles

It was always all-or-nothing with my group (the entire vehicle - cab, tractor, all 18 tires, U armor for both vehicles). Otherwise you'll get a ton of arguments. In-game justification, mines have burst-effect (p. 44 CWC 2.5e):

Each tire within 1” of any edge of the mine counter takes 1d
damage, and the underbody of the vehicle that set the mines off takes
2d damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
If a mine (doing underbody damage) affects a ten-wheeler or semi, does it affect the underbody of the cab/tractor, the underbody of the carrier/trailer, or both?

I suppose a related question would be, which are affected when only part of the oversize vehicle passes through a flaming oil or flame cloud counter?
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post

We always played that if the dropped weapon affects the counter, every legal target on it was affected.

So for the 10-wheeler, if the mines got vehicle at all, it would affect both the cab and carrier underbody.
In the case of the tractor and trailer, it would only affect both if the mines affected both (i.e. were within range of both counters). If there were multiple armor locations of the right type on the one that was affected, it got them both.

And we applied the same rule for other dropped weapons - using the counter to determine whether it was affected or not, and if it was, everything was affected.

It worked and was relatively straightforward to adjudicate, even if it seemed a bit odd in some cases.

If you really wanted to come up with an advanced set of rules on what is affected, you have to handle a bunch of different cases. You could do this if you clearly delineated where the armor locations ran to (such as half the vehicle's length for buses and maybe the first half-inch/last inch for ten-wheelers) and only applied affects to tires if the corner the tires were on was within range of the effect. And you'd want to extend the same rules to cars to be consistent.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
43Supporter

For me, it was "anything touching the counter takes the 'underbody' hit", and if there was someone between you and the mine, you were safe from tire damage (being on the counter counted as "between").

Otherwise, one gets the munchkinry of Napalm Mines being able to hit the Underbody of a car 2" away....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote