Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #101
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: epub format for e23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

If you haven't found it yet, try checking out EBookDroid
Thanks for the recommendation! The Market is huge – those grousing about it being so small next to the iTunes App Store must have tons of free time in which to run searches. I'm happy to benefit from others' learning. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post

10.1" screen helps a lot for that. My tablet has a 7" screen, and I barely manage. I do, however, manage...
Yeah, I can appreciate that. On one hand, I only have a 10.1" screen because I got the thing as a promo item; I couldn't justify the expense of buying such a gizmo. On the other hand, I gather that this form factor is where things are going, not just a blip, so it's probably the size to which publishers most have to pay attention.

And it's telling that I'm not even bothering with a PDF reader for my 4.5" phone.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #102
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! The Market is huge – those grousing about it being so small next to the iTunes App Store must have tons of free time in which to run searches. I'm happy to benefit from others' learning. ;)

Yeah, I can appreciate that. On one hand, I only have a 10.1" screen because I got the thing as a promo item; I couldn't justify the expense of buying such a gizmo. On the other hand, I gather that this form factor is where things are going, not just a blip, so it's probably the size to which publishers most have to pay attention.

And it's telling that I'm not even bothering with a PDF reader for my 4.5" phone.
Well, Kromm, can I point you to this thread? we discused Android PDF readers there too ;). Welcome to the world of the 10.1" Android tablet ownsers ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #103
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

I have. Fortunately, it was a free app. :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #104
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Actually this isn't correct.
My statement is accurate. If the B&N layer of encryption is removed from a Nook file, what remains is an ePub that is encrypted with ADE. I'm not guessing about this; I know it for a fact. I've seen it demonstrated conclusively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
B&N uses something other than Adobe Digital Editions for their DRM,
Not "other than" - in addition to. The B&N layer prevents non-Nooks from getting access to the ADE-encrypted inner file, so of course they can't read it. It's like needing one key to get into your car and a different one to start it; if all you have is the ignition key, it doesn't matter because you can't get in the car to use it.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #105
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
Not "other than" - in addition to. The B&N layer prevents non-Nooks from getting access to the ADE-encrypted inner file, so of course they can't read it. It's like needing one key to get into your car and a different one to start it; if all you have is the ignition key, it doesn't matter because you can't get in the car to use it.
Sir, you win +1 Internet for having the only car/computer analogy that was actually accurate and made sense.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #106
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
My statement is accurate. If the B&N layer of encryption is removed from a Nook file, what remains is an ePub that is encrypted with ADE. I'm not guessing about this; I know it for a fact. I've seen it demonstrated conclusively.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the in addition too part. I just knew I couldn't figure out a way to get them to work on any other reader I have had.
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #107
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

I'm so glad SJG doesn't use DRM... After all, it costs a lot of money and will mostly serve to annoy paying consumers... back to the car analogy, who would buy a car wher the owner doesn't have the key, but needs to call back (at his expense) to the maker every time he wants to switch it on, and in order to make sure that the route is validated by them?

I buy my ebooks from vendors that realize this, such as baen...
My stuff on e23
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #108
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I buy my ebooks from vendors that realize this, such as baen...
Baen can sell unprotected E-books because it's a publisher, not a vendor, and can thus do whatever it wants with the books it publishes. B&N mostly isn't, and most of the publishers it distributes for want DRM (if I had to guess as to why B&N has two layers of DRM, it probably has to do with their subsystem that lets you loan a book to another nook user).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #109
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Baen can sell unprotected E-books because it's a publisher, not a vendor, and can thus do whatever it wants with the books it publishes. B&N mostly isn't, and most of the publishers it distributes for want DRM (if I had to guess as to why B&N has two layers of DRM, it probably has to do with their subsystem that lets you loan a book to another nook user).
It is both a publisher and a vendor. Baen EBooks is part of Baen Books. Webscriptions was a legally distinct company, but really, it was Baen's ebookstore. They also sell books from other publishers, such as Ace, Bantam Spectra, Del Rey, or Tor.

This is from their website
Quote:
Digital Rights Management (DRM) and our reasons for not implementing it

Digital rights management restricts the number of formats in which you can enjoy electronic media you have purchased. At Baen, we believe that when you purchase an Ebook, you should be able to access that book however you choose. For that reason, we sell only DRM-free Ebooks -- when you purchase one you have access to any and all formats we offer.

What does that mean for you? If you get a new eReader that uses a different format than the one you had when you built your Baen Ebook library, you can download your Ebooks again in the new format for no additional charge. If you have several eReaders, you can download your books to them all; this lets you read your favorite Baen Ebooks when you're at home with your favorite reader, on the go with your mobile device, or anywhere with any other device.

Once you've purchased the Ebook, you've paid for your right to enjoy it. We try to make it as easy to do that as we can. As long as you purchased it through our website and it shows up in your My Books list you can download to your heart's content.

Enjoy.
My stuff on e23
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #110
TJA

For iPhone / iPad, i bought "GoodRead" which i like very much!

Tags
e23, epub, ereader, pdf, pdf readers