Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-21-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Warriors of Haunden (IC)

The band of warriors had just checked on the Venasir of Holidor, the enemy's nearest fort. The enemy had been caught off gaurd: all the soldiers where in the fort or watching the wrong dwellings. You scouted their locations, and then raided the right spot. You are returning home with a pair of slaughtered goats, produce of the land your parents and grandparents grew up on.

And you find a scene reminiscent of those terrible days your parents and grandparents talk about. A number of houses have been lit on fire. A lot of the settlement is walled up in the fort. But you can tell a lot of your friends, neighbors, and family have been slain or wounded. More are missing.

The pattern of destruction makes no sense: the buildings lit on fire are on the south-east side of the village, but the bodies are all next to the creek.

Kethwick, a young boy about 13 years old, runs up to you. He is crying, but relieved to see you. He tells of thin monsters made of bone that came up from the creek and attacked everyone, and of three sorcerers with masks who commanded soldiers to capture people.

You haven't heard tell of more than one Venasir sorcerer in this region for a long time, let alone 3. Nor have you faced monsters made of bone lurking in rivers. Something new is going on.

Anoras instantly is sure the sorcerers have captured the people to be sacrificed in bloody rituals that will further their power.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: Warriors of Haunden (IC)

Cassandra had very much been looking forward to getting home and telling folks about the great raid (and enjoying the delicious spoils thereof) but eventually realizes that things have definitely gone sideways

"Oh, that's definitely bad. If we had been here they would have totally been regretting it, but we can go pay them a visit right? Ugh, bone stick men thingies? Sound total monsters. And three sorcerers is like one for each of us, that sounds big"
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
Valornor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

And you find a scene reminiscent of those terrible days your parents and grandparents talk about. A number of houses have been lit on fire. A lot of the settlement is walled up in the fort. But you can tell a lot of your friends, neighbors, and family have been slain or wounded. More are missing.

The pattern of destruction makes no sense: the buildings lit on fire are on the south-east side of the village, but the bodies are all next to the creek.

Kethwick, a young boy about 13 years old, runs up to you. He is crying, but relieved to see you. He tells of thin monsters made of bone that came up from the creek and attacked everyone, and of three sorcerers with masks who commanded soldiers to capture people.

You haven't heard tell of more than one Venasir sorcerer in this region for a long time, let alone 3. Nor have you faced monsters made of bone lurking in rivers. Something new is going on.
Being one of the forward scouts for the Raiding Party. He had been one of first to see what had happen to Wetterhod while they had been gone. Surely this had not been in response to their own raid. When young Kethwick had spotted him and ran up to. He could tell that the lad was in shock and barely holding it together.
Responding to him, Fenian said. "From which direction did the three masked sorcerers and their soldiers come from? Did not those on watch up in Sentry Tree give warning of their coming? Why wasn't the village evacuated, with everyone fleeing to the forest to hide until the danger was gone? Especially with there being three of them. With a good portion of the village's defensive force being gone on a raid? Where did these springing from creeks monsters made of bone, three sorcerers with masks the soldiers they commanded, go off to with those they had captured? "

Waiting to hear what Kethwick would say to his questions. Fenian glanced over his left shoulder. Past the Butchering Yard and the Tannery, at the creek's edge. Beyond to where the Creek entered the Swamp. Further into it, on the far bank, his sharp eyes could just make out his Family's Tree House. That was built up in a ancient Oak that sat atop a hummock. It seemed no worse for wear. Had there been only one of the masked sorcerers. His mother, Rhiannon would of most likely taken on them on using her own considerable magical arts. Knowing his Mother and Sister would be watching. He made a big wave in their direction. He wanted to make sure that the Venasir were really gone and not just waiting out of sight. To make a second run at the village. Then he would give his family two waves, one with each arm. That signaled that it was safe for them to come by canoe, to tend to the wounded and later the dead. Fenian then brought his full attention back to the lad.

Here's my yet unfinished map of Wetterhod.
https://imgur.com/hLYs0T4
Hold down Ctrl and hit + to enlarge.

Last edited by Valornor; 11-23-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Valornor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
RainyDayNinja

Thad considers the report he heard from Kentwick. He knows little of sorcery, but he certainly smelled a fell wizard behind this.

"Which way did the sorcerers take the prisoners, boy? We need to pursue as quickly as possible."
RainyDayNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:11 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Kethwick: "They came from the creek! They popped out of it and started attacking people. I ran and hid. The Sentry tree didn't see the bone monsters. I don't know if they saw the men in masks and soldiers, everyone was already screaming and running. The Scorcerors came from by Daunhid's house (the south east) and they left that way too. I don't know why everyone went to the fort instead of hiding in the woods."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #6
Alden Loveshade

Anoras Naturas: "By the stars in the heavens, how can this be happening again? But with beings made from bone coming from a creek? What could that be? Definitely not natural. Let me think...No. Our biggest worry is for the living. If I know anything about sorcery, and I do, the people captured are bound to be used in a bloody ritual to further the power of sorcerers. I must talk to Rhiannon. Now."

"Kethwick, do you know where Rhiannon is? Is she in the fort?"

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 11-22-2023 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add mention of fort, nature
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Valornor

Trying to make some sense of what Kethwick was saying about the three Scorcerors and what soldiers they had with them having came from by Daunhid's house. An doing what they did, take captives and left the same way they came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Anoras Naturas: "By the stars in the heavens, how can this be happening again? But with beings made from bone coming from a creek? What could that be? Definitely not natural. Let me think...No. Our biggest worry is for the living. If I know anything about sorcery, and I do, the people captured are bound to be used in a bloody ritual to further the power of sorcerers. I must talk to Rhiannon. Now."

"Kethwick, do you know where Rhiannon is? Is she in the fort?"
Addressing the somewhat older woman, he said.
"Anoras, you're not thinking clearly. My Mother and Sister only come to the village on the first and fourth day of the week. Unless there is a sickness running through it. Today is the sixth day of the week. They are most assuredly at home. As soon as I deem that it is safe enough here for them to come. I will signal them to do so. Then she and Branwen will come by canoe. In the meantime you need to use the Healing Arts that she taught you. To see to those still alive!"

Last edited by Valornor; 11-23-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:55 PM   #8
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
Addressing the somewhat older woman, he said.
"Anoras, you're not thinking straight. My Mother and Sister only come to the village on the first and fourth day of the week. Unless there is a sickness running through it. Today is the sixth day of the week. They are most assuredly at home. As soon as I deem that it is safe enough here for them to come. I will signal them to do so. Then she and Branwen will come by canoe. In the meantime you need to use the Healing Arts that she taught you. To see to those still alive!"
Anoras: "Fenian, you are an archer, highly skilled in perceiving and firing at physical things at a distance. I am not. But I do not need you to 'correct' my thinking. Your mother Rhiannon perceives things most mortals cannot. If she saw that she was needed here, she would come here.

"And certainly I will attend to the wounded. After I learn if Rhiannon, and Branwen, are here," she said stubbornly.

"So Kethwick, do you know where Rhiannon is?"
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:11 PM   #9
Valornor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Anoras: "Fenian, you are an archer, highly skilled in perceiving and firing at physical things at a distance. I am not. But I do not need you to 'correct' my thinking. Your mother Rhiannon perceives things most mortals cannot. If she saw that she was needed here, she would come here.

"And certainly I will attend to the wounded. After I learn if Rhiannon, and Branwen, are here," she said stubbornly.

"So Kethwick, do you know where Rhiannon is?"
Now in his own mind getting a better idea of what actually happened there earlier that day. Amused by Anoras's assertions, though not by the situation. Fenian's words came almost laughingly out his mouth.
"Anoras, did you somehow hit your head during the Raid? As your memory seems to be addled. And just because you trained under my Mother for more than a handful of years. Don't you dare to think that you know my Mother better then I. On the sixth day of the week, unless it is raining heavily or snowing. She and Branwen spend the day canoeing to different areas of the swamp. To gathering herbs and mushrooms for edible, magickal and medicinal purposes.
You are not listening to what Kethwick has been saying. The three masked sorcerers magically appeared with their soldiers for a very short period of time. Did what they did and then at the exact place they appeared here at. They then left here at. As if they came here by opening some sort of magickal doorway. I have overheard my mother speaking of such. Surely, she spoke of such in your lessons. Its location was very near to or perhaps partially inside Daunhid's house. The fire being a side effect of such. A magickal door that remained open while they were here. A magickal door which they closed after leaving. Can you imagine tne amount of Mana it would take to do all that. As well as to manifest the Bone creatures. No wonder there were three of them!
Even if my mother was home at the time of the attack and realized what was happening. She couldn't of made it to the village by the time the Venasir had already left. So they certainly would not now be in the fort. If they had somehow been here in the village. You would of already see them treating the wounded! Having figured out what I have. I think it is safe as it's going to get. I'm going to signal my mother and sister to come as soon as possible

Going to place he knows he'll be seen by those in the Tree House. He now see's that a long length of red cloth has been draped over the outer railing. Letting him know they had seen his earlier signal. Even with his sharp eyes, he can barely see them standing behind it. He then gives them all clear sign. An watchs as they clamoried down the rope ladder to the hummock, where their canoe lay ready to be launched.

Anoras knows, though he was not actually trained by his mother. The young man having lived in her home all his life. Has picked up much knowledge as if by osmosis. She also knows of Fenian's Code of Honor and knows he tell the truth. No matter the situation.

Last edited by Valornor; 11-24-2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Kethwick doesn't know where Rhiannon is. He was out playing. You are still on the edge of the fields. Perhaps she is there, moving amount the injured. It's hard to see from so far away

Last edited by ericthered; 11-24-2023 at 09:41 AM.