Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #651
Captain-Captain

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki

I need help on this one, guys! What would be an appropriate limitation for "must always use the maximum FP cost, regardless of damage healed"?

In other words, Cure 1 isn't merely capped at 2 FP, it also can't heal less than 2 FP. Without this limitation in place, there's no point for these to be alternate abilities of each other at all!
Accessi bility. Must spend X fatigue in place of some restriction like Must dance a Jig.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #652
Blackseasofinfinity

The Vorpal Blade (-80%): (Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Breakable, 25 DR, -5%; SM -4, -15%; Can Be Stolen, -30%; Unique, -25%; Link, +10%)

--[10] "Very Fine" (+100%): +2 cut (ST-Based, +100%)

--[252] "Snicker Snack!" (-40%): +200 cut (Trigger: On a roll of 3-6, -35%; Nuisance Effect: goes "snicker-snack" when it activates, -5%)

[Total: 53]

Note: This is THE Vorpal Blade. The sword used to behead the Jabberwocky and then go on to be used in Dungeons and Dragons. Anyone who picks it up just notices its extreme sharpness (technically 'very fine' by the way it's designed), but if they get lucky enough, they can see its amazing cutting ability (roll a 3, 4, 5, or 6!).

Designer Notes: Even though designed with CPs, this is an item (shown with the gadget limitations). I linked them because you'd be doing normal very-fine damage all the time (notice ST-Based with it), but sometimes you just out-right murder (snicker snack!), beheading dragons or severing titan's legs in twain on a roll of 3-6. I got the percentage discount of the trigger from looking at the percent-chance rules for a roll of 6 or lower to make (9.3%). Then I checked Powers under Accessibility and looked at the discount for a 9.3% chance to make (between 7-18%), which is -35%. So, I just called it a Trigger, then put it up there.
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #653
zorg
Experimental Subject

To be honest, I don't understand this write-up, or how you end up with 53 CP.

Is it possible that you have limited the Snicker-Snack part well beyond the legal 80% cap? I assume you applied the Gadget Modifiers as well as the Trigger and the Nuisance Effect to the 200 cut damage?

I also don't understand the Trigger, or the relations of these items, or what is modified with what, exactly.
Sorry, perhaps I'm just a bit slow today.

It would perhaps help if you typed this up according to the Powers write-ups :)
Old 09-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #654
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
To be honest, I don't understand this write-up, or how you end up with 53 CP.

Is it possible that you have limited the Snicker-Snack part well beyond the legal 80% cap? I assume you applied the Gadget Modifiers as well as the Trigger and the Nuisance Effect to the 200 cut damage?

I also don't understand the Trigger, or the relations of these items, or what is modified with what, exactly.
Sorry, perhaps I'm just a bit slow today.

It would perhaps help if you typed this up according to the Powers write-ups :)

Well, the top modifiers are supposed to be applying to everything below. I put linked so both damages apply, but the 200 cutting only applies if you roll a 3,4,5, or 6. So it's +2 damage all the time, then another 200 when you 'crit.'

I know it's over 80%, but I only counted 80%. So why does it matter?

So, total up the two costs (262), then put the top modifer on them (-80%), and you get 52.4 or something. Round it up.

Basically you have 2 linked abilities that both have similiar modifiers. So, mathematically speaking, I 'factored out' the common modifiers, so the gadget limitations still apply to both cutting abilities. I wrote it in a simpler form. Then each cutting ability has its own modifiers.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #655
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Ultimate Vampire Slaying Power
50 points

Innate Attack: Burning 1 [Base 5 points: Cyclic - 1 second/9 cycles +900%; Accessibility - Only Affects Undead -20%; Always On -20%; Blood Agent -40%; Melee Attack - Reach C -30%; Trigger - 1 HP of blood shed -15%] (44 points)

Slow Regeneration [From undead-caused wounds only -40%] (6 points)

Should the possessor of this power get his blood spilled by an undead, said undead will get a surprise as the blood catches fire on his dead skin - or in his dead mouth. The blood does 1d burning damage per second for nine seconds, which is long enough to kill a vampire (whose head will be on fire) or injure zombies or other clawed undead creatures unto crippling.

As an extra bonus, the possessor heals from undead-derived wounds slightly faster than normal people.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #656
Arakhor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackseasofinfinity
The Vorpal Blade (-80%): (Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Breakable, 25 DR, -5%; SM -4, -15%; Can Be Stolen, -30%; Unique, -25%; Link, +10%)

--[10] "Very Fine" (+100%): +2 cut (ST-Based, +100%)

--[252] "Snicker Snack!" (-40%): +200 cut (Trigger: On a roll of 3-6, -35%; Nuisance Effect: goes "snicker-snack" when it activates, -5%)

[Total: 53]
The Vorpal Blade gadget's total modifier of -85 (max. -80%) applies to both abilities, making "Very Fine" a total of +115% and "Snicker Snack" still at -80%.
"Very Fine" is 22 pts (21.5) and "Snicker Snack" is 51 pts (50.4 pts). I make that a total of 73 pts actually, assuming that "Very Fine" is indeed worth a base of 10 pts.

Orion, Freelancer, Skulls.
Arakhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #657
Blackseasofinfinity

Well, it looks like I'd have to put ST-Based on the Snicker-Snack part to make it where it's technically a sword... which would bump this abillity up way too much. <Slams head against wall>.

Sorry about this one...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #658
Arakhor

It's a nice idea though. Try adding it to the 100+ pts thread. (Incidentally, SM-4 is about a foot long IIRC. Having handled a genuine ceremonial thin-bladed sword juss last weekend, I can tell you that 12 inches is far too short!)

Orion, Freelancer, Skulls.
Arakhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #659
William

If Looks Could Kill

Your looks can kill. You can assume a form of incredible beauty, the mere sight of which can strike normal humans dead. While you are in your altered form (which is both extremely fatiguing and requires concentration to maintain), anyone near you who sees you and makes a reaction roll (modified as usual by your new appearance!) resulting in a reaction of Neutral or better must engage in a Quick Contest of Wills with you; if they fail the latter, they suffer a heart attack.

Foes who do not need to make a reaction roll are unaffected. Any allies in the vicinity have hopefully been well-prepared to expect this, and do not need to make a reaction roll either!

Looks Can Kill: Affliction 1 (Heart Attack +300%, Malediction +100%, Based on Will +20%, Sense-Based (Vision) -20%, Requires Reaction Roll -5%, Area Effect 4 yards +100%, Emanation -20%, Always On* -20%, Costs FP (7/second) -70%, Link (Advantageous Appearance) +10%) (+395%) [50]

* The Malediction is in constant use while the Appearance is presented, and cnanot be switched off -- it is also forcing the user to concentrate. Yeah, it's a bit ooky; a more accurate build would be welcomed.

The Appearance required to use this power is separate from the underlying power, but must be bought with Link (this power) +10%, Switchable +10%, for a total +20%. The level and type of appearance chosen will determine the most vulnerable targets of this power; the GM will probably wish to charge the enhancements only to the differential between the user's "base" Appearance and the altered Appearance.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #660
Blackseasofinfinity

<in an ominous voice> Dark Matter

Notes: This ability acts like a chain reaction: it starts at a certain point, and as it does more damage, it grows. I imagine each stage stays for 10 seconds (they each have persistent); it just varies when each stage activates because a certain amount of damage is required for the next stage to trigger.

Designer Notes: I'm not sure if this works. I'm just throwing this out there for curiosity's sake. Please correct me on the pricings of the Uncontrollable Triggers. I tripled the discount because it's a "destructive ability" that's needed. I also counted it as "Very Common" because the damage is happening every second for 10 seconds (per stage).

[5] Reality Ripple--1st Stage (-75%): 1d+3 cor (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Costs Fatigue, 4 FP, -20%; Dark Matter (like Psionic), -10%; Dissipation, -50%; Limited Use 1, -40%; Nuisance Effect: Sound is swallowed up, Reality tears open, Obvious, -5%; Persistent, +40%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%; Takes Extra Time 3, -30%)

[16] Portal to the Unknown--2nd Stage (-20%): 2d cor (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Dark Matter, -10%; Dissipation, -50%; Nuisance Effect: Nuisance Effect: Sound is swallowed up, Reality tears open, Obvious, -5%; Persistent, +40%; Uncontrollable Trigger: 1st Stage must do 6 damage, -45%)

[26] The Abyss--3rd Stage (+30%): 2d cor (Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Dark Matter, -10%; Dissipation, -50%; Nuisance Effect: Sound is swallowed up, Reality tears open, Obvious, -5%; Persistent, +40%; Uncontrollable Trigger: 2nd Stage must do 12 damage, -45%)

[Grand Total: 47]

If Uncontrollable Triggers allow you to make chain reactions like this, you could technically keep going, each stage leading you to more destruction.

Also, each stage before the other is still persisting. So technically, if you roll a 3 or higher on Stage 1, then roll double 6s for Stage 2, you could have all 3 stages acting at the same time. This means 5d within the heart of the black storm every second until one of them fades away.

If you get more points, things like Mobile and Extended Duration would be devastating!

Last edited by Blackseasofinfinity; 10-01-2006 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Environmental: Needs Dark Matter didn't really work... so, I added Dark Matter, -10% like a power modifier. Just treat it like Psionic... or whatever you think applies.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers