Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
gregoriomata

Default [HT] Glock 24, a Fine gun?

On their website, Glock announces the Glock Glock 24, 17L, 41, 34 and 35 as pistols for competitive shooting. Do you think that can be considered what GURPS High Tech calls a Fine (Accurate) weapon?
Thank you for your answers.
gregoriomata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: [HT] Glock 24, a Fine gun?

It is one of those things.. I am not fully sure as a Glock 34 that I have cost about 1.5 times what a Glock 17 would have cost back when I bought it(no idea about current prices). But my guess would be: no, they do not count as such in GURPS terms.

Trying to map real world to game numbers is always tricky though.

But the ones people use for competitive shooting are definitely fine/very fine(accurate) though. That is people doing competitive shooting tend to get their weapons modified quite much. At least I have used a lot on the improvements to my Glock 34 over the years(barrel, sights, grip surfaces, trigger).
Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would guess that what non-gamers call great for competetive shooting would qualify for reliable non-crappy/mediocre mass produced guns.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Mailanka

Perhaps they are fine for the purposes of Sports (Competitive Shooting)? I don't mean to sound dismissive at all, it's just that when someone says "This will give you an edge in competition," that probably doesn't mean "And also the battlefield." I mean, the reason the AK-47 has such a great reputation is not because of its accuracy during shooting competitions. The reason a Glock 24 might be an excellent choice for a competition shooting might not make a it a great weapon on the battlefield.

Sort of like a foil is superb for competition fencing, but not really something you'd want to try to kill an orc with.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
RyanW

Maybe give a bonus to Armoury rolls to upgrade to Fine (Accurate)?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Litvyak

AFAIK, there's no special fitting that goes into any of those Glocks, so I'd be inclined to say no to Fine (Accurate). Though I'd probably give the 17L and 24 Acc 3 because for their long barrel length, much like the AMT Hardballer Longslide under the Cold Government description in HT.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
AFAIK, there's no special fitting that goes into any of those Glocks, so I'd be inclined to say no to Fine (Accurate). Though I'd probably give the 17L and 24 Acc 3 because for their long barrel length, much like the AMT Hardballer Longslide under the Cold Government description in HT.
I looked into the Hardballer ad eventually decided that it has ACC 3 not because if 8it's slightly longer barrel but rather because the makers (AMT) started it out as a stainless steel copy of a Colt Gold Cup. A Gold Cup is almost certainly Fine(Accurate).

about competition guns generally, Gun Fu makes the H&K USP Match pistol Fine(Accurate) so it's possible. whether these Glocks are depends on more detailed info than has been given so far.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Rupert

I wouldn't unless they come with good target-grade sights. A reason is that HT has all of two semi-autos with Acc 3 (not counting those with stocks added), and one is a target-pistol variant of another. Another is that some pistols intended for target shooting (Desert Eagle, Ruger Super Redhawk) are not given Acc 3, and nor is the very long barrel variant of the S&W Model 29 (another hunting and target weapon).

Unless these Glocks are clearly very accurate out of the box, IMO they are Acc 2.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Glocks can be improved with better barrels (and ramp improvements), improved triggers, and better sights. Those are all upgrades ABOVE the bone-stock guns themselves. So no, the stock Glock is NOT a Fine gun, but it can be made one. I'm not sure it's going to qualify for that in terms of strict MOA, but as a GM I would allow it.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I'm not sure it's going to qualify for that in terms of strict MOA, but as a GM I would allow it.
I suspect that under the conditions that GURPS looks at Acc by default, what mostly matters is weapon ergonomics.

Tags
glock, guns, high tech