Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Lentor

Default Scoring Extra Cash

Exploits p.14 says: "Even with the above tricks – especially with those tricks, for failed crooks – money can be tight. These next few measures may help. A PC can try all of them once while in town before each adventure, or one of them daily while awaiting a quest (see Finding a Quest, below)."

The last part. Is there a difference between "before the adventure" and "while awaiting a quest"?

I am playing in a campaign where we explore a mega dungeon with trips back to town between each session. So we have not really a quest each time, often it is just "keep exploring and gathering loot". A week passes between each session and we pay 150$ upkeep. My char only has 1 skill to make money. Can I use it 1 time or daily?

I would argue daily because for me the quest and adventure are the same "explore the dungeon". Also exploits pickpocket says: "When preying on common townsfolk, roll daily;"
Lentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Scoring Extra Cash

I agree with your interpretation. You could try pickpocketing once each day.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I agree with Dalin's agreement with your interpretation.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Yeah, I'm with the 'once per day' interpretation.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
InfinitePudding

I would say that I agree with that. It does clearly say roll daily. Not much interpretation needed.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
Lentor

Quote:
I would say that I agree with that. It does clearly say roll daily. Not much interpretation needed.
The point of contention is that we are not "waiting for a quest" and therefor option 2 is not available.
Where I would say "quest" and "adventure" are 2 names for the same thing namely the next time we enter the dungeon. No one told us "go into the dungeon and get me an ancient dwarven mug". So we don't have a goal other than explore and loot.

Under "rumors" in the chapter "finding a quest" it says "Success reveals the quest – or if the GM has several dungeons ready, each success turns up one at random, and the players can choose based on hearsay." So I would say according to the book knowing where a dungeon is you can enter is a quest already.
Lentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
InfinitePudding

Yeah, I would say that they are arguing semantics at this point. Your quest is to get loot. In this case I would consider waiting for a quest and waiting to go back to the dungeon the same thing.

There is no logical reason you roll each day in one instance and not the other and that's really what's important here. It's a week between dungeon delves, it makes no logical sense to say that just because you aren't looking for a different quest each time you couldn't use that week of downtime to try to make some money that week.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

The only place where this is an issue is if for some reason the daily pickpocket is more lucrative loot-wise than the adventure itself, in which case we have, in addition to a semantics problem, an expectations and motivation problem.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I'd place "Waiting for a Quest" on equal treatment with "Loitering in Town Until we go back in the Dungeon."

Dungeoneering is always more fun with an extra $100 and a broken hand. :P
Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The idea is that you're waiting around town for whatever reason. Whether the quest is strictly speaking to come or in progress isn't important. My word choice assumes that any delver in town is awaiting further questing; it isn't meant to break up a delver's life into a specific number of quests with set start and end points.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote