Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Bubbles21112

Default Orc and epicness

So I'm a long time fan of Munchkin, but recently (about a year or so) I've gotten into the game again with a few new people.

We have gotten a lot of the expansions and some of the stand alone sets too. We have had questions that have resulted in "house rules" There is one however that I'm curious about.

As an orc you can gain two (2) levels if you beat a defeat a monster by 10 or more. As an epic Orc you eat a level 1 monster immediately. This brings me two questions.

1. If you get a level 1 monster and a level 15 monster. Do you eat the monster of level 1 and fight the level 15 alone? I'd assume this is a yes, but hey it never hurts to ask.

2. If you eat a level 1 monster you kill it as apposed to defeating it (since I've learned those are two different things) do you gain two (2) levels for this action or does it only grant 1. this is sort of confusing to me and Well it may seem like a silly question, but it's one I'd like to ask.
Bubbles21112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Orc and epicness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles21112 View Post
1. If you get a level 1 monster and a level 15 monster. Do you eat the monster of level 1 and fight the level 15 alone? I'd assume this is a yes, but hey it never hurts to ask.
Yes.

Quote:
2. If you eat a level 1 monster you kill it as apposed to defeating it (since I've learned those are two different things) do you gain two (2) levels for this action or does it only grant 1. this is sort of confusing to me and Well it may seem like a silly question, but it's one I'd like to ask.
No. You can only defeat something by more than +10 if you are fighting it normally, comparing combat strengths. Even if it was the only monster you were facing, eating it does not result in you comparing combat strength with the monster, so it only grants you a single level.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Orc and epicness

Clipper is correct, but let me expand on the Orc's epic ability: You're getting rid of a Monster immediately, without anyone being able to stop you from doing it. You have to sacrifice something for that. Now, bear in mind that's a choice, and if you want to shoot for the extra level, you can try, but now the other players can modify the Monster so you might not be able to get that extra level.

And, on the Orc's ability: To get the extra Level requires an Orc to be winning by more than 10, not winning by 10 or more. That means that you need to beat the Monster side combat strength by 11 or more to get the extra level. Finally, you have to beat the Monster side by 11 or more to get the extra level, not each Monster individually, so it's only ever going to be one extra level.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-08-2014 at 07:51 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote