Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
tbeard1999

Default Fantasy Trip Tiny Bits of Chrome

I propose that we list *minor* tweaks or bits of chrome that we've added to TFT over the years, again for the designer's consideration. As with the other "list" thread, I'd ideally like to avoid a lot of debate. <shrug> We'll see about that :) "Minor" tweaks/bits of chrome are defined here as simple changes to the rules that don't profoundly impact the game but, in your opinion, improve it. Replacing the 3d6 system with a d20 is *not* a minor tweak, for instance.

Some tweaks I've played with:

The Bash (lifted shamelessly from 1st edition Chivalry and Sorcery). Reduce the damage of hafted weapons (ax/mace) by one point (two points for two handed hafted weapons). But use the base damage inflicted by the weapon (i.e., before reduction for armor, toughness, etc.) for purposes of determining knock down or DX adjustment due to damage. If you wish, you could take rigid armor hits stopped into account. Rigid armor is plate, half-plate, fine plate, rigid monster armor. This makes hafted weapons act a little differently than swords.

Allow engaged figures to shift one hex and break engagement so long as they remain engaged with at least one enemy figure. This allows a figure who wins initiative to get away from some enemies by tactical maneuvering. It makes winning initiative a lot more valuable. Optionally, allow enemy engaged figures to shift to maintain engagement.

I added a heavy longbow to the weapons chart. It did 2 dice damage and I *think* it required ST13. 2 shots per turn with adjDX 19+.

What to do about the poor two handed bastard sword? It only averages 0.5 points of damage more than it does when being used 1 handed.

The "break weapon" result can be hard on expensive, magic swords. I propose that this result not apply to a magic weapon. Rather, when it occurs, the magical tuning is disrupted and the weapon loses its magical properties. The weapon will have to be re-enchanted by a wizard for some cost. I'd make the cost something like 5-10% of the weapon's value. If a weapon loses its enchantment, you can still use it as a normal weapon. If you roll a "break weapon" result while using it as a normal weapon, the weapon breaks and will cost 1/2 its value to be re-forged and re-enchanted. I'd also exempt magical weapons from the Break Weapon spell (or let them be enchanted for immunity without using up a Rule of Five slot).

The magic bonuses for weapons cost a flat amount, regardless of the size of the weapon. That's okay for hand weapons, but it makes magical arrows, darts and bolts obscenely expensive. I suggest that the value of enchantments on magical bolts, darts and arrows be 5% of the normal cost. So a +3 enchantment on an arrow would cost $300. If the missile is broken, the enchantment is gone.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-09-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added additional items
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote