Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Edman

Default Mage: The Ascension

...using GURPS rules. Is this doable? Is this desirable? Has anyone done it? Has anyone ever desired doing it? Were you expecting answers instead of questions?

Anyway, discuss away!

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
sn0wball

Default Re: Mage: The Ascension

Using GURPS 3e, I used the GURPS MtA magic rules for an over-the-top science-fantasy campaign and it worked out great. I wasn´t concerned about game balance there, though, since every character used Mage-style magic.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Anaraxes

SJGames actually had a license for a while and did a 3e book.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/magetheascension/

The "Realm-based syntactic magic" magic system in Thaumatology (Ch. 6) is essentially the Mage system.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

It's been done OFFICIALLY in 3rd edition. I fact people praised the book a lot when it came out. Now, it was the last GURPS WoD book ever released, and we all know why (and if you don't, google it).

In 4th edition, it's extremely easy, if you have access to thaumatology, to replicate the magic system (Realm Magic is basically a generitized version of MtA magick). Personally, I have an undying hate for WW systems (mainly because they don't seen to be able to do the math. Dice pools are tricky animals too), so if I ran it, it would be under GURPS.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
It's been done OFFICIALLY in 3rd edition. I fact people praised the book a lot when it came out. Now, it was the last GURPS WoD book ever released, and we all know why (and if you don't, google it).
I did. Page 3 left side of the page begins a fairly extensive, somewhat heated statement about the relationship between the two companies, by Steve Jackson.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Opellulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Personally, I have an undying hate for WW systems (mainly because they don't seen to be able to do the math. Dice pools are tricky animals too), so if I ran it, it would be under GURPS.
I did it twice but, in my experience, when you translate the "bucket 'o dice" WW system in cold GURPS math something is lost in the process. Theshold Magic works a lot with imagination and GM bargaining: in Mage I don't go any problem and I can invent and describe wonderous magical effect; when I try the same in a GURPS setting I freeze because my mind start to get clogged by other informations like by range, damage, plausibility, scientific explanation and all other cold reality stuff that turns my "Awesone unexplicable magic miracle" in "some lame sleight of hand trick"... I don't know if this is only me, but some system are better played unchanged.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
I did it twice but, in my experience, when you translate the "bucket 'o dice" WW system in cold GURPS math something is lost in the process. Theshold Magic works a lot with imagination and GM bargaining: in Mage I don't go any problem and I can invent and describe wonderous magical effect; when I try the same in a GURPS setting I freeze because my mind start to get clogged by other informations like by range, damage, plausibility, scientific explanation and all other cold reality stuff that turns my "Awesone unexplicable magic miracle" in "some lame sleight of hand trick"... I don't know if this is only me, but some system are better played unchanged.
The issue with WW systems is that they flat out break when you look at them closely. When an actions that is supposed to be easy for a character that is skilled becomes pretty much a tossup, when someone who by it's descriptive skill level should be an expert has huge chances to botch a relatively average task, then it's a broken system. Part of the issue is not understanding how dice pools work...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
SJGames actually had a license for a while and did a 3e book.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/magetheascension/

The "Realm-based syntactic magic" magic system in Thaumatology (Ch. 6) is essentially the Mage system.
That's what I was going to say!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Bruno

All the creativity and negotiation with the GM won't save you when your bag of dice explodes into a bag of botches :/

You have to give them credit, though - eventually they learned. After about three different attempts to fix the system.

Later editions of the game have significantly improved the botching problem by almost completely removing the special status of 1s on dice rolls. The current round of WoD games also helps eyeball probabilities better by fixing difficulty at a static number and solely using "number of successes" as the actual difficulty number.

It's still messy though. I can't argue with the visceral pleasure of dropping 30 dice as your werewolf explodes through Samuel Height (true story) but it's still really slow to resolve.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Anaraxes

The syntactic magic systems in GURPS do call for a fair amount of player-GM negotiation. "Control Body" or "Matter 3: Create" covers an awful lot of territory.

IMO, the biggest weakness in Mage was the lack of any good system for resolving mage-versus-mage conflicts. Everybody shapes reality to their whim; great. Easy to befuddle or whoop on the mundanes. What happens when two mages are struggling over the same Sphere? "Highest level wins" is a bit dull; opposed rolls require some tweaking. And cleverness ought to get an inning; but granting "good roleplaying/tactics" bonuses means in practice that you're back to GM negotiation, the systemless system. Even more complex, what happens when two mages want to do two different things at the same time, but the effects intersect in the "world" of consensus reality?

This sort of conflict is the core of the whole game, so it seems like there would have been a better system for resolving it.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, owod, rants