Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Broken abilities your GM will never let you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
2-If powers like this can exist, and do exist, then other people with similar or opposing powers also exist
Well, there is always UB...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Well, there is always UB...
The UB for the power to completely destroy my setting to which there are no countermeasures is fairly priced at infinite.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
*Hyperbole
Umm... how are you calculating this? Assuming the limitation 0% it comes to 10+10%+300%+200%. Or 51 points. Are you using multiplicative multipliers?
Sorry I thought you meant 'reprogrammable duty' - simply reprogrammable means that:
1- they will be aware that something is forcing them to do things
2- they need only listen to the letter OR spirit (as suits them, at the time) of your orders, which means that this is a risky ability at best against someone of power (doubly so if YOU don't know the scope of there powers).
3- Nothing happens until you give them orders/programming which makes it very difficult to use in combat (doubly so when combined with #2 above) by the time you blurt out 'I order you to stop what you are doing, sit down, and take no further action until I give you more orders' the fight could be over, one way or another- using anything less then a command that specific and they could stick to the letter and conceivably still partake in the fight. Out of combat it is still quite useful, but that #2 means you should probably have good law skill.

With those limitations, taking more points then taking magery+good charm/enslave skill I defiantly still think it is point balanced and fair- could make for a neat 'words of power' character.

Quote:
Most of them stun you for multiple turns. So terror can be fired multiple times again. Not only that an average person against terror? Will ten with an average roll for the fright check and on the table totaling 21, and a penalty of 12? Comes to 23, and while I'm sure it will really suck for them to have a delusion or phobia they will still disembowel you next turn. Anyway...
In retrospect I would instead choose "awe"* because those disadvantages prevent the whole getting disemboweled. If you have awe, and they fail their fright check (unless your unlucky enough to hit a 14 or 15 on that table) you'll take your opponents out of combat long enough to shank, or have your friends shank. Even the lowest result trades one of your turns for the other sides turns, which is a good deal if you have friends to back you up.

Unfazeable is nice, but its 15 points to negate effectively one attack.
*All kittens have the advantage terror: aaawwwwee. (Nuisance effect: overly cute.)
If your spending 140 points on a single advantage you are either so disadvantage laden that you spend most of your time crawling around on your one remaining arm suffering from seizures or most of the opposition you face will have more then 15 points to spend on an ability that allows them to ignore those pesky fright/awe checks (which come up pretty often when people are putting 140 points into advantages; like when the guy beside you just gets obliterated by an attack doing more then 11x HP damage- then starts regenerating from the fine bloody mist left behind)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I'd allow the M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. power. It allows for a player to end the campaign, killing everything including himself. If the game's so boring that the players want the campaign to end then, well... what's the point?
Well, in a infinite worlds campaign, it could not end the game, just that especific universe. Could be the power of a villain or the power of a hero slaying evil universes.

But some corrections need to be made for such habilities. And maybe a 20.000 unusual background: universe killer.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
Well, in a infinite worlds campaign, it could not end the game, just that especific universe. Could be the power of a villain or the power of a hero slaying evil universes.

But some corrections need to be made for such habilities. And maybe a 20.000 unusual background: universe killer.
Add World Spanning, though I guess some universes could be vastly larger than ours is.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Add World Spanning, though I guess some universes could be vastly larger than ours is.
That's why Coinflip has it. Is there a RAW way of doing sphere instead of normal area?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
That's why Coinflip has it. Is there a RAW way of doing sphere instead of normal area?
Not published, no.

I am given to understand that using the (Area Effect + Wall) enhancements to do so is going to be published, and thereby will become official. I'd suggest this to calculate the sphere's volume (and remember that Wall gives 3 cubic yards of volume for every 1 yard radius of Area Effect); assuming you don't have a better way to do it already.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #28
Lamech

Quote:
Wait normal area of affect isn't a sphere? Although one that in normal tactical combat happens to get over simplified. Although if you really want a sphere just add the 0 point feature "area is actually the largest sphere containable in the normal area". If the GM really wants it add selective area, with the above feature.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Wait normal area of affect isn't a sphere? Although one that in normal tactical combat happens to get over simplified. Although if you really want a sphere just add the 0 point feature "area is actually the largest sphere containable in the normal area". If the GM really wants it add selective area, with the above feature.
(Basic, pg 101, sidebox): "Assume that range is 100 yards, area is a circle 2 yards in radius (and 12' high, should volume matter), and duration is 10 seconds, unless the advantage specifies otherwise."

Area Effect isn't a sphere. It also isn't reshapable. It is a 4 yard tall, 2 yard radius circle, flat topped and flat bottomed, with the diameter expandable according to the level of the enhancement, with the height being unmodifiable, which conforms to the local horizontal surface at "ground level", not affecting anything above or below or outside those dimensions.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #30
lexington

Quote:
No, Kromm has told people to use Wall +60% to reshape the volume (that's what I did for the True Ultimate MUNCHKIN example).
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote