Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Various Magic Questions

From what I've seen, trading time for energy is usually very good, and trading a finite amount of time for effectively infinite energy seems pretty amazing. I could be wrong...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #32
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
From what I've seen, trading time for energy is usually very good, and trading a finite amount of time for effectively infinite energy seems pretty amazing. I could be wrong...
The S+S enchanting method in a lot of campaigns pretty much only works for NPC enchanters...

If the GM and other PC's are kool with you saying "I need a 5 yr break in character to enchant this stuff" then I guess (assuming you can hire mages, keep your enemies off your back and not roll a 16,17,18) it is kool.

I used to have problems managing a SIX month break so my mage could learn a few spells...the fighter whose only non combat skill was HEAVY drinking did not see that kind of downtime as profitable...IIRC in two-ish years of running him I managed two short breaks...probably nine months total...

YMMV
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
You really do need to do the math on S&S. Even pretty minor magic items can take years. It's one day of one Enchanter's labor for every point of required energy. The enchanter or Enchanters usually can't be interrupted in the middle wiothout losing all their work too.

The result of this is that if PCs want to special order magic items (or create them themselves) it's usualy Q&D or nothing. S&S isn't "better" it's _irrelevant_.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #34
Bruno

Quote:
You can't trade a finite amount of time for infinite energy - only finite energy.

1 day = 1 energy. It's a pretty terrible exchange rate.

The "D&D Standard +1 sword" - a magic sword that gives +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and is magically resistant to abuse - is 900 energy. That's two and a half years of effort, and you can't even take weekends and holidays off. You just have to work for two and a half years, straight.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #35
Lamech

Depending on what other sources of energy are available (paut, powerstones, sacrifices, ER, cone of power ect.) QnD can either have trouble managing much more than 80 energy (and even that might be pushing it) to making greater wishes in a week with a couple mages. To anything in between.
Of course this means that in a lot of worlds S+S is valuable. Its the only way to cast greater wish (and you can't tell me the ability to give yourself unaging ect. is irrelevant), and do a lot of things. But for most of the items Q+D is the way to go.

Last edited by Lamech; 05-13-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #36
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You can't trade a finite amount of time for infinite energy - only finite energy.

1 day = 1 energy. It's a pretty terrible exchange rate.

The "D&D Standard +1 sword" - a magic sword that gives +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and is magically resistant to abuse - is 900 energy. That's two and a half years of effort, and you can't even take weekends and holidays off. You just have to work for two and a half years, straight.
Actually, 4e does let you have weekends and holidays off. MAGIC, p.22, mentions Slow And Sure enchanters work 5 days a week, about 22 days a month.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

G.U.R.P.S. Enchantment Calculator might help here 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #38
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Actually, 4e does let you have weekends and holidays off. MAGIC, p.22, mentions Slow And Sure enchanters work 5 days a week, about 22 days a month.
Actually, that is just one of a number of seemingly direct contradictions to the rules found in that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p. M18
All of the caster's assistants must be present every day. If a day's work is skipped or interrupted, it takes two days to make it up. Loss of a mage ends the project!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I think that was more to get a calculation of dollars per point. Bruno's assertion is true regardless of payment. That is you need 900 mage days of work for the sword she described. 900 working days * (1 year / 365 working days) = 2.46 years. If you start taking weekends off, you're talking 900 working days * (1 year / 365 calendar days) * (7 calendar days / 5 working days) = 3.46 years.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Actually, that is just one of a number of seemingly direct contradictions to the rules found in that section.
The contradiction is resolved if days off must be planned ahead of time. When the cowbell strokes sound on Friday afternoon, the enchanters chant the appropriate coda, and go home for two days. If one of them doesn't return on time Monday, that's a skip day that incurs the two-day makeup penalty.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic