Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Mailanka

Default Re: Does Magic Spell get TDM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
No. The absence of such a reference related to magic use should be taken as an indication that it doesn't apply.
You know, they don't talk about TDMs in the combat chapter much either, but they certainly apply, as you can see in later supplements that talk about "plinking." It could be that magic isn't intended to allow that, or it could be that the Magic rules, like the combat rules, naturally assumed that the TDMs were implied and that magic was most often used "in dangerous circumstances" (especially if the spell itself was dangerous). I could totally see allowing someone to gain a +4 when casting apportation to summon a tea cup to their hand: It's not in combat, the spell isn't particularly dangerous, and it's just a minor use of their abilities.

TDMs cut both ways too, you know. Wouldn't attempting to cast a complicated spell while bent backwards over a table and surrounded by swirling bees be harder than casting it upright and in comfortable circumstances?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
TDMs cut both ways too, you know. Wouldn't attempting to cast a complicated spell while bent backwards over a table and surrounded by swirling bees be harder than casting it upright and in comfortable circumstances?
Well it will require a will roll just to start in that circumstance. Though I am not sure if the rules for spellcasting in awkward situations specifically excludes negative TDMS as well.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #23
Forr

I'm not sure any situation where you can potentially expend FPs can be "mundane" enough to justfy a TDM bonus.

Also, unlike real world skills, there is no basis on which to assign TDMs to spellcasting. What makes spellcasting hard in the way that tough locks make lockpicking hard? We don't know except what the books tell us, like injuries, low mana areas and magic resistances.

Regular spellcasting happens in seconds, and in most cases doesn't involve serious consequences if failed. If the situation at hand is truly mundane enough, the mage can just try again. You could argue that backlash poses a real, serious danger, and makes repeat tries risky, but then the situation isn't mundane after all and doesn't warrant the bonus.

Last edited by Forr; 04-29-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Forr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forr View Post
Regular spellcasting happens in seconds, and in most cases doesn't involve serious consequences if failed. If the situation at hand is truly mundane enough, the mage can just try again. You could argue that backlash poses a real, serious danger, and makes repeat tries risky, but then the situation isn't mundane after all and doesn't warrant the bonus.
I enter subway trains two times a day, every weekday. While unlikely, if I ever slip, I can get my leg hurt. In the even more unlikely event that the machinist doesn't notice me and starts the engine while my leg is wedged between the train and the platform, the consequences would be much worse. Does that mean I should roll DX at TDM+0 twice a day? Slipping or stumbling poses a real, serious danger, even though it will only come up very, very rarely among millions of people.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #25
MC Baribandi

Where can I ask it to Steve Jackson? Is this Board looked by Jackson?
MC Baribandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Baribandi View Post
Where can I ask it to Steve Jackson? Is this Board looked by Jackson?
It would be more properly addressed to Doctor Kromm, and he seems away lately.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #27
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It would be more properly addressed to Doctor Kromm, and he seems away lately.
And note further that you're unlikely to get an official answer to every question. Some things you can or should figure out for yourself.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #28
MC Baribandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
If you use the rules for sympathetic magic (Sympathy, Names, Contagion) in Thaumatology, there are plenty of TDMs. But vanilla... no.
I asked whether... using Sympathetic magic in Comfortable Situation and Dangerous Situation differs in Effective Skill Level.

In comfortable situation my mage is casting in Sympathetic Magic as well as dangerous situation, does my mage gets +4 TDM derivated in Comfortable Situation as well as TDM derivated in Sympathethic Casting?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #29
MC Baribandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
And note further that you're unlikely to get an official answer to every question. Some things you can or should figure out for yourself.
Hmm... As Korean, Korean GURPS Publisher (Publisher Dayspring) seems that he doesn't know about it either.

Last edited by MC Baribandi; 04-29-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: misusing the phrase
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #30
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I enter subway trains two times a day, every weekday. <snip>
If you as GM posit that performing Magic is as routine and mundane as walking then definitely TDMs would apply.

This is pretty much a GM by GM decision.

My answer would be No...although if a Wizard wishes to cast a Regular Spell Ceremonially (10x cast time) then I would allow some of the options outlined on Magic Page 12...energy for skill can be your friend.

But if you want to be lighting your pipe 20 times a day with Ignite Fire then you can take the Household Magic perk or gain CP demon fighting once or twice a year...

By Definition YMMV....

Tags
job, magic, modifier, skill, spell, task difficulty modifier