Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Mage: The Ascension

I used the 3ed GURPS MtA for one of my longest running and most enjoyable campaigns. I thought it worked well and my players had a blast. I found it easy to use the White Wolf tradition books with it, converting was no problem at all.

Realm magic from Thaumatology is more or less like the same system from GURPS MtA, with the serial numbers filed off, so updating to 4ed shouldn't be hard.

I don't have any experience with the newer edition of WW's Mage, so I'm not sure if that would be as easy to translate to GURPS.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
Opellulo

Default Re: Mage: The Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
And cleverness ought to get an inning; but granting "good roleplaying/tactics" bonuses means in practice that you're back to GM negotiation, the systemless system. Even more complex, what happens when two mages want to do two different things at the same time, but the effects intersect in the "world" of consensus reality?
I prefer GM negotiation over dice resolve every time rises a "matter that would require a prolonged manual check", for me rhytm is the main concern in a RPG session.

It's this the problem I got in playing GURPS converted MAGE games: WW World it's mainly a narrative non realistic system, while GURPS it's more a mathematical simulation of the reality: i personally find very difficult to bridge the gap between the two different game approaches.

To use a movie metaphore: WW is like "Near Dark" while Gurps it's more "Vampires", both are funny ways to spend an evening with your friend, but while one grasps you with a stereotyped dark romantic story the other blasts you destroying that stereotipes with action.

Tags
magic, owod, rants