Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Broken abilities your GM will never let you have

So, looking through my list of premade abilties (either cause I thought of something cool, hilarious, broken, or wanted it somewhere easy to remember), I found these two abilities. I fixed the first one so it would work RAW (no credit on my part):

Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) [53] - Toxic Attack 1 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, No Roll Required +400%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%, Reduced Range 2 -10%) [53].

The second someone (can't remember who right now) pointed out that Innate Attack 3d-10 is free (-1 damage is -.3d). So I stepped it up:

Coinflip Of Death [0] - Corrosion Attack (6d-20)x100 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect 1 billion +50*10^9%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, No Roll Required, Allows Time-Spanning and World-Spanning +500%; Cyclic 3 million seconds +300*10^9%, Extended Duration: Permanent +300%, Long-Range +50%, No Signature: Total +25%, Persistent +40%, Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Time-Spanning +100%, Underwater, +20%, World-Spanning +100%) [0]
Effects: Emanations of pure antimatter destroy anything you feel like anywhere in this world or other worlds, at any point in time. Anyone hit takes (6d-20)x100 damage 300 times per second for the next 2 1/2 centuries. Oh, it's technical range is 2 to the billionth power, so someone might not get hit (considering the edge of our universe is "merely" about 10 gigaparsecs away from Earth, and the M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. hits 74 parsecs with only 91 levels of area effect).

Anyone else got any broken abilities, attacks or not? Any GMs actually willing to give these abilities or others to their players?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Broken abilities your GM will never let you have

The innate attack cost is wrong, you round up, so minimal cost (before enhancements/limitations) is 100*0=0 rounded up to 1

Disregarding that minor detail, you should go to 6d-21, turning the attack in a disadvantage...

As for actually giving those abilities to a player ... I guess there may be, somewhere, a game where that would happen, although it will not be one of mine.

celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 05-10-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
The innate attack cost is wrong, you round up, so minimal cost (before enhancements/limitations) is 100*0=0 rounded up to 1

Disregarding that minor detail, you should go to 6d-21, turning the attack in a disadvantage...

As for actually giving those abilities to a player ... I guess there may be, somewhere, a game where that would happen, although it will not be one of mine.

celjabba
Well, one, I always thought it was weird to round before modifiers, and two, how does 0 round up to one? Does 12 round to 13?

I was thinking about that, at make it even more broken, but then I remembered there is usually a cap on disadvantages...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
and two, how does 0 round up to one? Does 12 round to 13?
Good point. Especially since there are 0-point cost feature in game. So, disregard my comment above.

Disadvantage limit however is in the hand of the GM, so, as long as he is smoking the rules...

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Anders

I'd allow the M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. power. It allows for a player to end the campaign, killing everything including himself. If the game's so boring that the players want the campaign to end then, well... what's the point?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Walrus

And again. Where is the rules for Area Effect with RoF?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
bcd

Both abilities seem to have the problem that they treat Area Effect as if it were a Volume Effect, which it is not. As a consequence they are only going to affect a 6' thick disk through the universe.

Additionally, there is reason to believe that the area effect follows the curvature of the planet rather than spreads out into space in which case it is a reasonably effective world killer but no universe slayer. (Of course, any world which could have someone with this ability also seems likely to be able to recover from such an extinction event.)
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
... Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) [53] - Toxic Attack 1 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, No Roll Required +400%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%, Reduced Range 2 -10%) [53].
How does Reduced Range work with Area Effect?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Area Effect powers do not originate around the user unless the user specifically has Emanation, Aura, Melee Attack, etc.

You place the center of the AOE effect with your attack roll, like targeting an indirect fire weapon, grenade etc. Roll for scatter normally.

Reduced Range reduces the maximum range you can place between yourself and the center of the Area Effect, as usual.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
... Where is the rules for Area Effect with RoF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Rapid Fire and Reduced Range are both compatible with Area Effect (as long as it doesn't have Emanation or Malediction, or anything else which removes the ranged attack roll).

Visualize a machine gun which fires micro smoke grenades. Wherever they hit they produce an area effect, but it's perfectly reasonable to rapid fire them (producing overlapping areas of effect), or to reduce the range they can be fired.

Multiple areas of effect stack in the same way that multiple attacks stack. Afflictions don't stack without cumulative, Bindings add +1 ST to previous bindings, and innate attacks do more damage.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote