Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Aigol

Default High Tech Firearms questions

I'm reading through High tech and am a little confused about the different descriptions of reloading.

Looking at the S&W 1o given in the example on page 87 it is 15 seconds without fast draw, going by its entry on the weapons table it is 18 seconds since it is 3i for six shots.

Also I was wondering where in the process using fast draw removes 2 seconds from total time when using a speedloader

open-eject-get speedloader-insert cartridges, release, close?
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Aigol

Default Re: High Tech Firearms questions

Also for reloading Shotguns with an internal magazine it takes one ready manuever to grab a round and one to load it and it says fastdraw ammo reduces total time by 1 every 3 rounds should it be 1 second every 2 rounds or am I missing a third part in the reloading time that would make the process

grab round then insert round then X where x is the piece I'm missing
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigol View Post
I'm reading through High tech and am a little confused about the different descriptions of reloading.

Looking at the S&W 1o given in the example on page 87 it is 15 seconds without fast draw, going by its entry on the weapons table it is 18 seconds since it is 3i for six shots.
The example on page 87 appears to just be wrong.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Not sure, there.

1 second to open the cylinder, 1 to eject the cartridges, 1 to (eventually) close it is 3 sec.

That leaves 2 per shot (one each to get a bullet and load it) x 6 shots = 12 seconds.

total: 15 sec.

So given the guidance in Swing-out Revolvers, right above the example, perhaps the reload time is wrong (and should be 2i) or includes something else?
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
No. The Table on p. 94 is wrong. Oddly, this hasn't been errataed yet. The reloading process is 1 to open, 1 to eject, 2 per round to retrieve and insert, 1 to close = 15.

EDIT: Or exactly as Doug already explained above ;)

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Aigol

Thanks for the clarification

and about the shotguns with fastdraw only reducing time by 1 every 3 shells is there a step I am missing in the reload process that makes it work that way?

Because as listed its just 1 second to grab a shell and 1 to load and fastdraw typically reduces the time to grab a round by 1 second

EDIT: And would there be any real effect in slightly modifying thumbing since as is if you succeed in thumbing you can't miss since a success is a hit and a failure means no shots are fired

Last edited by Aigol; 01-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Aigol

Just in general should the given times match off of the tables to what is under the reloading your weapon heading or is that an optional rule?

Several weapons my players are looking at don't quite match up with the descriptions given in that section such as the Beaumont-Adams Mk I it is 10i is it like that because it follows the rules for the breechloading rifles/shotguns that use multipart ammo? That is the only listing I can find that is 10 second I am just curious because in some cases I am not quite sure how fast draw interacts with some guns
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
HANS

Quote:
Just in general should the given times match off of the tables to what is under the reloading your weapon heading or is that an optional rule?
No. The figures in the table follow those under Relading Your Gun (pp. 86-87) -- except when they're wrong. Unfortunately the Reload figures are especially error-ridden . . . I'm slowly clearing these up, including in the more detailed and period-specific follow-up volumes, such as High-Tech: Pulp Guns and the upcoming High-Tech: Adventure Guns.

Quote:
Beaumont-Adams Mk I it is 10i is it like that because it follows the rules for the breechloading rifles/shotguns that use multipart ammo? That is the only listing I can find that is 10 second
In this case, p. 86 is wrong, unfortunately -- there really is no functional difference between a smoothbore and a rifled revolver. Either takes 20 seconds per chambre, halved if using paper cartridges. Using paper cartridges was universal practice. Reload 10i is correct for this weapon.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
Aigol

OKay I see thanks for the clarifications

and as you seem to know quite a bit, can I as Why is it that fastdraw only reduces time for every 3 rounds for internal magazine weapons

and why are some breechloading rifles listed as reload 3 like the Sharps 1874 or Springfield 1873. Does the information for breach loading on 86 for break open guns only?

Tags
high-tech. reloading