Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Tom H.

Default A Generic RPG from Fantasy Flight Games?

Interesting.

I just read about an RPG named Genesys that is in development by Fantasy Flight Games.

From a quick read I have inferred this:
  • It will be flexible and multi-genre.
  • There will be an initial core book.
  • Five genre's will initially be supported: Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day, Science Fiction (Hard and Opera).
  • A variety of equipment will be presented to match the genres
  • It seems to have been announced this summer. I see no release date scheduled.
It also seems to use a similar dice pool mechanic as their recent Star Wars RPG's. This mechanic provides for varied and interpretive results.

I would go so far as to say this is the generic realization of their Star Wars system.

This is interesting to me as I always thought modern RPG design would/should start with the generic system (especially in the wake of GURPS).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact this may have on GURPS and SJ Games' product strategies.

Preliminary Comparison.

From what I know of the Star Wars RPG, there should still be a wide difference in implementation style between GURPS and Genesys.

I believe Genesys will handle the multi-genre market with mechanics that simplify play with more abstractions and unequivocal rules.

GURPS style will remain highly detailed with rules tinkering and adjustment to fit the level of precision.

In truth, this allows GURPS to be the more generic and realistic system at the cost of complexity and coherence.

For example, in the Star Wars RPG, discrete encumbrance points abstract a merged concept of weight and space (bulk). And hard point values allow you to add units of modifications to spaceships on one scale and to hand weapons on another scale.

Of course, in GURPS you will tend to deal with the actual real life measures for these properties.

Does anyone have thoughts or information to share about Genesys or its upcoming coexistence with GURPS?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
mook

Default Re: A Generic RPG from Fantasy Flight Games?

I'm sure I'll peek into a few forum posts about Genesys when it's released just to keep in the loop, as I have during the lead-up, but I'd be shocked if it had any direct impact on GURPS whatsoever. New generic systems are released constantly, both large and small, and apart from Fate Core and possibly Savage Worlds, they're barely blips on the radar. I personally don't think Genesys and its niche dice will make much of a splash at all (bookmarking this thread for posterity in the event it takes the gaming world by storm!)

Even FC and SW, while successful and popular, haven't affected GURPS in any meaningful way I can see other than possibly expanding the role of so-called "story game" elements in GURPS (which isn't anything new -- the mechanics have been there since day one).

EDIT: I should probably mention, I've been playing a monthly game of FFG's "Edge of the Empire" for the past year. The story and characters are great. I don't like the mechanics, especially the dice, even a little bit.

Last edited by mook; 09-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Tom H.

Thanks for that insight Mook.

I actually think Genesys could be a big deal if Fantasy Flight really markets the various genres with rich and immersive content.

I played the Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginner set with my wife and thought it was sort of fun.

I always wondered though if playing long term if the abstract nature would eventually get a bit monotonous. It seems like your tactics are limited when you have three range bands and details like cover are interpretive based on special effects of extra dice.

I'd really have to experience it more to judge though.

Having heard about SJ Games struggle to come up with a formal name while GURPS was supposed to be temporary, I bet they wish they would have thought of using Genesys. I think that's pretty clever.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
mook

It is indeed a good name!

And the RPG.net thread(s) looking forward to it do seem exceedingly enthusiastic, so maybe it will be the Next Big Thing...

In which case I will immediately buy a copy and steal the best ideas for my GURPS games. :D
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
. . .
so maybe it will be the Next Big Thing...
. . .
Yes, the more I think about it, Genesys really could take off.

I really believe in the eventual power of multi-genre or generic systems.

One thing with which I am really in agreement that has been conveyed before by robertsconley is about producing products by "getting all the dials right."

If this happens with a good generic system--watch out!

The weakness of Fantasy Flight Games is the tendency for some products to feel designed and written by committee; whereas, with GURPS it can sometimes feel a bit short on resources or "to hell with the committee."
Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Just FYI, they seem to have a Discord server. I don't watch it, but did click the link back whenever, so here it is.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
SolemnGolem

Neat, it's always interesting to see how companies tackle the needs of a generic/universal system.

I had a high opinion of TriStat dX, and I was sad to see Guardians of Order go out of business. Although I can see how their business model might not have been sustainable. They offered the base rules (a hefty 200-300 page tome full of good rules) for free, and planned to charge for supplements and adventures.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Lord Azagthoth

Not only Star Wars, I've seen a FFG Warhammer FRP conversion too!

The art is nicely done, really feels like Warhammer, just like what they did with the Star Wars version.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
ak_aramis

The dice have been shown, and the side mix apparently matches FFG Star Wars.

Which means you can use either's dice for the other, asthetic considerations aside.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
SolemnGolem

I just saw that today. Interesting, so the dice are fixed in their facings, and therefore the probabilities will have to maintain cohesion across all applicable genres.

I know triStat dX handled it by allowing you to change the "X" in the "dX" according to power level of the setting. It also changed the point cost for skills and advantages, based on how useful they'd be for your particular setting (with the more useful ones priced higher).

The d20 system kept the most common "see if this works" roll at the d20, with the rest of the dice playing supporting roles in specific ranges. I still prefer the 3d6 of the GURPS bell curve, which helps to normalize the result even within a single dice roll in a way that flat-probability rolls like d20 and d% only achieve in the aggregate.

If Genesys gets a free sample PDF to give a brief overview (GenesysLite, perhaps?) I'll definitely take a look. But part of the reason I bought into GURPS in the first place was to subscribe to a universal system so I'd save money when I cross genres. I probably wouldn't buy into Genesys' full ruleset unless it's really exciting.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote