Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
chris1982

Default Re: Desert Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Wear your hearing protection, boys and girls!
Can't hear you. Gunfire is so loud over here.... ;-)
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Grognards tell me that the only truly silent firearm ever made was the DeLisle Carbine, but I suspect that it may have been equalled or surpassed since their day.
Nah, the DeLisle was just a .45 with all the bells and whistles built in. It was extremely unlikely to have been that much quieter than any other silenced .45.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevitt View Post
Of course there isn't a lot of point silencing a gun unless the bullit is subsonic to start with
3e Modern Firepower, I believe, has a bad-a$$ treatment of suppressors that pretty well describe, in net/net terms, what they do and don't do. Bad me (worse since I was Lead Playtester) I presume but can't quote that HT4e has the same thing, but in the more-coarse 4e paradigm.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
3e Modern Firepower, I believe, has a bad-a$$ treatment of suppressors that pretty well describe, in net/net terms, what they do and don't do. Bad me (worse since I was Lead Playtester) I presume but can't quote that HT4e has the same thing, but in the more-coarse 4e paradigm.
From testing both systems, I think the 4e one is actually more precise and accurate. I can take any real world can, gun and round combination and assign it stats that fit reality.

Thanks HANS. ;)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Nah, the DeLisle was just a .45 with all the bells and whistles built in. It was extremely unlikely to have been that much quieter than any other silenced .45.
?The DeLisle I was told about was a cut down SMLE re-chambered to fire .45 slug, with a silencer about the size of a drain pipe built into it. The old guys claim that the loudest noise to come out of one was a toss up between the round hitting the target or the sound of the bolt as you chamber the next round.
There was even a little velvet lined box to catch the spent case...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
?The DeLisle I was told about was a cut down SMLE re-chambered to fire .45 slug, with a silencer about the size of a drain pipe built into it. The old guys claim that the loudest noise to come out of one was a toss up between the round hitting the target or the sound of the bolt as you chamber the next round.
There was even a little velvet lined box to catch the spent case...
Oh that's the weapon in question. You just need a big silencer to get _normal_ results with a .45. The DeLisle probably had every possible silencing piece to tech that was known at the time. That's what I called "all the bells and whistles".

The problem is that you've still got all that expanding gunpowder and a big fat slug. Putting a Non-ethnic Badass label on things won't change that. The DeLisle may have been -1 more silent than any other arrangement for a .45 with a silencer and that's it and it's not absolutely silent.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Which makes me wonder ... how and where is he going to find a holster big enough to fit it? ;-)
Or is this going to be like those ridiculous Luger acessory packs, which ended up modifying a pistol until it was basically a carbine or machine pistol in kit form, but twice as expensive and not as good.
People didn't have much choice as to machine pistols back when they were actually making those Luger accessory packs, so you can't really blame them.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #28
Z09SS

To get a silencer for a .50 Desert Eagle would have cost my friend $2,500 three years ago. He balked and didn't get it done. That would have been a dark gray parkerized version, chrome would have been $200 more and he didn't get a quote for the gold that would have matched his gun. I don't recall what company offered to make it or how many dB they said it would reduce. When he gets back from active duty, I will ask.

I have fired a DeLisle! It sounds like you dry fired it, except there's a noise from the target, steel plates in my case. .45 is already subsonic, so it's perfect for sound suppressing.

Suppressing supersonic loads does have a purpose, you are not hiding that you fired a shot, you are hiding where the shooter is. A suppressed supersonic round only has the sound of the sonic boom from the bullet and not the bang from the gun. You will hear the sound perpendicular from the path of the bullet.

Shooting a gun you are not strong enough for is great fun for people watching, no fun for the shooter. Heck, some guns are no fun to shoot even if you are strong enough.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #29
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

If he wants a Big F. Gun he should get the BFR, described in Loadouts: Monster Hunters. One the the characters in my Supers game is a cinematic psionic gunslinger with Imbuements, using dual BFR, using .500 S&W P+APDSDU ammo, dealing 11d-1(2) pi per shot (that he then makes stealthy with Stealthy Attack, changes to Huge Piercing, adds additional armor divisors, and guides to target). Trust me, it's pretty scary. Also, carrying dual 45 cm revolvers sure looks cool. It certainly allows him to do bad Dirty Harry impersonations.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #30
Xenarthral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
I have a player that want to have a big f*ing gun.
Query: Is it totally unheard of real life people who want big f*ing guns and buy
them with no regard for/without realising that they do not have the strength
(etc.) to use it properly?

In other words, is the character someone who would get a desert eagle
because they are the most wicked-cool-awesome weapon this side of a Lakota
katana or is the character someone who should know better and would get the
biggest gun he could actually use without difficulty?
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech