Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Dwarf Bread cost of living

DFA 113 says a steady diet of dwarf bread is required to get the bonus. In terms of dungeoneering, this clearly means “make all your rations dwarf bread.”

What about in-town? Is there any RAW handling of this, or is it just guesswork?

Maybe you’re replacing the unknown part (but probably not more than $42 per week, which is what it costs in travel rations) of cost of living standing in for food with $5 rations? So maybe you add $63 per week? Or is dwarf bread cheaper in town? Or does this not even affect cost of living?
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Dwarf Bread cost of living

You have to pay for it over and above . . . there's no overlap, discount, etc. You don't pay less at the inn because you refuse to eat the food and insist on shopping at the dwarven bakery. Cost of living is a package deal at DFRPG levels of resolution. You can opt not to exploit parts of what you pay for, but you can't opt not to pay for those parts.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
ArchonShiva

So +$105 per week?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Bicorn

Does a "steady diet" imply all you eat needs to be dwarf bread, or just some fraction of it?
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
Does a "steady diet" imply all you eat needs to be dwarf bread, or just some fraction of it?
I would rule that you would need to eat some dwarf bread with every meal, but you can supplement it with whatever else you'd like (jerked meats, hunks of cheese, ales or meads, etc.).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I would rule that you would need to eat some dwarf bread with every meal, but you can supplement it with whatever else you'd like (jerked meats, hunks of cheese, ales or meads, etc.).
The question is do you need to pay for three entire meals of dwarf bread every day, not whether or not you also eat the other food you are paying for anyway. What you do exactly in town is pretty abstract.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The question is do you need to pay for three entire meals of dwarf bread every day, not whether or not you also eat the other food you are paying for anyway. What you do exactly in town is pretty abstract.
I read the rules to say that in town you need to pay an additional $105 per week to maintain a "steady diet" (i.e., three meals per day) of Dwarven Rations, raising your cost of living to $255/week.

If I wanted to get more detailed about it, I would not quibble about a single missed meal (beyond the 1 FP cost if the character doesn't eat other food) if the character could make it up later in the day. In other words, if it were somehow rude to bring your Dwarf bread to the Duke's breakfast, you could skip it and eat a double-portion for lunch without having to wait another month for your bonus. (And you would still be paying for that meal's worth of bread, of course.) If you somehow miss a full day's worth, however, you lose your poison bonus until you eat it steadily for another month.

A greedy dwarf who spends a fair amount of time in town might choose to save the money, skip the rations, and purchase a Universal Antidote potion for $750 every fifty days.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
A greedy dwarf who spends a fair amount of time in town might choose to save the money, skip the rations, and purchase a Universal Antidote potion for $750 every fifty days.
Wouldn’t a greedy dwarf have the dwarven gear discount on the rations though?
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Wouldn’t a greedy dwarf have the dwarven gear discount on the rations though?
Darn. I'm totally out-munchkined.

The greedy dwarf would definitely take advantage of this. Adjusted prices would be:

$4.50 per meal
$13.50 per day
$94.50 per week + living expenses of $150 = $244.50

If the dwarf decides to instead budget this money for a universal antidote, he could afford one every 56 days. (But, of course, he'd have extra cash from the dwarven discount, which he could apply to this or other things.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I read the rules to say that in town you need to pay an additional $105 per week to maintain a "steady diet" (i.e., three meals per day) of Dwarven Rations, raising your cost of living to $255/week.
It can't raise cost of living, because then you could use Urban Survival to survive off free gutter dwarf bread!