Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
spelledare

Default GURPS Magic

Why is it that there is no physical books of GURPS Magic available? I know, because it's out of print, but since there is other fantasy products still in print, Banestorm for example, why isn't SJG printing Magic again? Or at least offer a Print on Demand-service?

How am I supposed to work Magic otherwise? Use the magic in Basic set. What if that isn't good enough? What if I want the full spectre of Magic?

And no, I don't want the PDF, I want it physical.
spelledare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Myrion

Default Re: GURPS Magic

I can't speak for SJGames, obviously, but one thing you can do is print the PDF. There are services that will bind it nicely for you and as I understand it, you are allowed to have one such copy made for you per copy of the PDF that you bought.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
dom1

Have you tried eBay or RPG Geek for second hand copies?
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by grislatin View Post
Why is it that there is no physical books of GURPS Magic available? I know, because it's out of print, but since there is other fantasy products still in print, Banestorm for example, why isn't SJG printing Magic again?
That's not what "in print" means, alas. It's not "actively producing more copies." Rather, it's a long-standing technical term in publishing which means "the publisher has copies on hand." Banestorm is in print because at some point in the past they had a bunch printed and now they still have copies in the warehouse. There are not, though, more being printed at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grislatin View Post
Or at least offer a Print on Demand-service?
SJ Games hasn't partnered with anyone for POD services (yes, it would be nifty if they did), but they explicitly grant permission for you to buy the PDF and get a POD service to print it for you.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1 View Post
Have you tried eBay or RPG Geek for second hand copies?
Amazon says about 60$ for wither hardback or softcover.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=GURPS+Magic

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
SJ Games hasn't partnered with anyone for POD services (yes, it would be nifty if they did), but they explicitly grant permission for you to buy the PDF and get a POD service to print it for you.
Past threads have discussion of various POD providers, along with some reviews and pictures of the results. That market's been changing fast, so it's probably worth looking around at current providers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Amazon says about 60$
An interesting coincidence, as I just checked at lulu.com; their website quoted $59.01 for a letter-size full-color 256-page casewrap hardback.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrion View Post
I can't speak for SJGames, obviously, but one thing you can do is print the PDF. There are services that will bind it nicely for you and as I understand it, you are allowed to have one such copy made for you per copy of the PDF that you bought.
At a time. There's no reason why you can't throw out your used up printout and make a fresher one.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
An interesting coincidence, as I just checked at lulu.com; their website quoted $59.01 for a letter-size full-color 256-page casewrap hardback.
It's about a half that if you go with B&W. Less than $10 if you go with soft-cover B&W.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-13-2016 at 02:38 PM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
kmunoz

I keep having problems with Lulu. The system flat-out refuses to accept the PDFs I provide, and the only way to get support (or even to know what the error is that their system is throwing) requires registering on the forum. That's a ridiculously poor way to handle customer support.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
I keep having problems with Lulu. The system flat-out refuses to accept the PDFs I provide, and the only way to get support (or even to know what the error is that their system is throwing) requires registering on the forum. That's a ridiculously poor way to handle customer support.
Try running the PDF through a virtual PDF Printer, such as Bullzip. One of the advantages of doing this is that you can clip off pages you don't want to add to the project (such as the cover pages or the e23 Information page). I was just messing around with Lulu to see what Magic + Magic Spell Charts would cost in softcover and the Spell Charts were erroring because the fonts weren't embedded; running it through Bullzip embedded the fonts and fixed the issue I was having.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4th edition, gurps magic, lulu, pod, print on demand