Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Donny Brook

Default Tonfa as Atlatl?

What do people think of the idea of customizing a tonfa so it can be reversed and used as an atlatl?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Tonfa as Atlatl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
What do people think of the idea of customizing a tonfa so it can be reversed and used as an atlatl?
Should work as well as the wheel lock-axe or the mace-flail/morning star.

Seriously, as combination weapons go, it seems about typical. The sort of thing likely to give you a small skill penalty to either use but not so silly you can't find some armorer willing to give it a try and functional enough somebody doesn't have to be clearly out of his mind to think it's a worthwhile trade.

I think the major issue is you are compromising the grip either way - if it's thick enough to be a very durable club, it's rather thick to hold the striking end as a spearthrower, while the grip you'd hold when using it as a tonfa has to be oddly shaped (so it will hold the end of the spear). It's also weighted toward the wrong end in one of the applications (you want a club weighted to the striking end, a spearthrower weighted toward the end of the spear).
Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
lwcamp

Quote:
An effective atlatl should flex as it is swung. This allows it to store elastic energy during the early part of the swing (where muscles are working more efficiently) and release it at the end of the swing. An atlatl that didn't flex would still be better than just throwing the dart by hand (it increases the load on the arm, making the muscles do more work where they are more efficient), but not as good as one that does flex.

A tonfa, of course, shouldn't flex much, or it won't be very good for cracking skulls and ribs.

This leads to a trade-off. Either you have a not-very-good atlatl or a tonfa that doesn't work.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Donny Brook

Well reasoned replies, thank you.

At 1lb and $20, I guess I'll just also get an atlatl.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
An effective atlatl should flex as it is swung. This allows it to store elastic energy during the early part of the swing (where muscles are working more efficiently) and release it at the end of the swing. An atlatl that didn't flex would still be better than just throwing the dart by hand (it increases the load on the arm, making the muscles do more work where they are more efficient), but not as good as one that does flex.
I've used atlatls in competition with the rest of the archaeology department where I went to undergrad. In my experience, it is the atlatl dart that flexes during the throw, not the atlatl itself.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I find your ideas appealing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote