Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
scc

Default Martial Arts Weapons and Weapon Master

The title was the best I could come up with, and I don't think this as been addressed before.

OK, Weapon Master gives bonus damage to melee weapons at DX+1 or +2, the martial arts skills give the same bonus and at the same skill levels (Except for brawling, it gives the +1 bonus at +2 and doesn't give the +2 bonus at all).

Now on page 65 of Low Tech there are several weapons that use the above martial arts skills to make attacks, that happens when I have Weapon Master, the skill at the appropriate level(s) and use those weapons, do I get both bonuses?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Martial Arts Weapons and Weapon Master

My gut reaction was that the RAW probably says those don't stack somewhere, but I couldn't find it on a casual search, and I'd be inclined to allow it as a house rule regardless, given that Weapon Master is expensive and cinematic, and that the weapons that would benefit from this that I can think of are all doing more-or-less Thrust damage which isn't going to see a lot from the bonus compared to other things you could buy Weapon Master for anyway.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Randyman

I would take my cue from Throwing Art - if you use Weapon Master as the prereq, you get the damage bonus from the skill, but not the prereq advantage. Not the same thing, obviously, but "the bonuses do not stack" is a pretty consistent condition when dealing with Weapon Master.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
DangerousThing

If the characters are using the weapons as fist loads, then I'd use the damage addition from the unarmed skill they are using.

If they have Weapons Master with that weapon, then I would give the player the option of using the Weapon Master bonus instead.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Use the better of them. I don't have a page ref, but in general, GURPS doesn't give layered skill bonuses for damage.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
Use the better of them. I don't have a page ref, but in general, GURPS doesn't give layered skill bonuses for damage.
I know I've seen a Krommpost about this at some point, but my search-fu fails me. This is the closest I can find. Of course, the word of the (primary?) author of Martial Arts is probably sufficient.

EDIT: Still not definitive, but see here. Kromm speaks to precisely what that damage bonus from Brawling/Boxing/Karate means, and his definition at the very least precludes the first +1 from applying to weapons. It could also mean it wouldn't apply to many Strikers or even Natural Weapons (Pyramid 3.65), but that can probably be safely ignored (as both of those Advantages were designed assuming they would get the damage bonus from at least Brawling).

Last edited by Varyon; 05-03-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The title was the best I could come up with, and I don't think this as been addressed before.

OK, Weapon Master gives bonus damage to melee weapons at DX+1 or +2, the martial arts skills give the same bonus and at the same skill levels (Except for brawling, it gives the +1 bonus at +2 and doesn't give the +2 bonus at all).

Now on page 65 of Low Tech there are several weapons that use the above martial arts skills to make attacks, that happens when I have Weapon Master, the skill at the appropriate level(s) and use those weapons, do I get both bonuses?
My gut says to agree with Peter on this - use the better. I could see an exception perk or cinematic switch allowing these to stack, but that'd be for a game with bendy physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Krommpost
Love the kenning!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, martial arts, weapon master