Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
GodBeastX

Default Re: Mages really hurt by the battle fatigue costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Don't be confused. Very fit explicitly doesn't help in recovering magically spent FP. Though it's still very useful.
Though Very Fit is appropriate only for regular Battle Mages. It must be roleplayed with extensive exercises. Ordinary adventuring mages have Fit at most because they have a lot of other things to do rather than drills and jogging.
I was talking about fatigue in general when I spoke about very fit. But yes, Recover Energy is the way to go for mages.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Dr. Whom

Location: In a phone booth, but a little classier than Dr. Who's.

One shouldn't forget the tools mages use...paut potions, charged wands, etc... one of the mages a friend of mine played suffered from pyro mania...so he used a lot of burning oil/ alchemist fire while too, after he drank an invisibility potion...he was quite effective...well till he blew himself up...
Dr. Whom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Don't be confused. Very fit explicitly doesn't help in recovering magically spent FP. Though it's still very useful.
Exactly. Buy Very Unfit and spend the compensatry points to buy extra FP (or ER). There's a character concept component right there.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Exactly. Buy Very Unfit and spend the compensatry points to buy extra FP (or ER). There's a character concept component right there.
Somewhere on the boards it was thrown out to put +100% on Very Fit (or Fit, whichever recovers faster) to make FP recovery affect magic (and other powers).

With Very Unfit, you have a tower mage. Those points give ER5. Another option is to use the perk in the back of Power Ups 2 that allows you to buy FP up to double HT. Combined with high ER (i usually give a max of 10, 20 with perk), you don't worry about FP too much.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
...or you accept being at half move and dodge once the fight is over and have to pay the fatigue cost for being encumbered.
It's not once the fight is over that I'm worried about, it's DURING the fight that concerns me
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's not once the fight is over that I'm worried about, it's DURING the fight that concerns me
You don't pay the fatigue cost for a combat until after the combat is over. (You obviously pay for your spells as you use them, but the part for being in a fight is paid at the end.)

As a result, the effect of the combat fatigue basically means after-fight recovery (or is a problem for the next fight if there is one sprung on you just after the previous one.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Somewhere on the boards it was thrown out to put +100% on Very Fit (or Fit, whichever recovers faster) to make FP recovery affect magic (and other powers).

With Very Unfit, you have a tower mage. Those points give ER5. Another option is to use the perk in the back of Power Ups 2 that allows you to buy FP up to double HT. Combined with high ER (i usually give a max of 10, 20 with perk), you don't worry about FP too much.
Of course, Very Unfit isn't free points. If the mage character needs to do something physcally strenous, the increased FP loss and slower FP recovery will bite him in the ass.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post

You don't pay the fatigue cost for a combat until after the combat is over. (You obviously pay for your spells as you use them, but the part for being in a fight is paid at the end.)

As a result, the effect of the combat fatigue basically means after-fight recovery (or is a problem for the next fight if there is one sprung on you just after the previous one.)
Exactly!

No rule anywhere requires you to pay FP during a fight for anything but extraordinary feats – cinematic martial-arts skills, extra effort in combat, spells, etc. The Basic Set (p. B426) is extremely clear on this: "Assess the following costs at the end of the battle." Ten seconds is the minimum length for a battle to cost FP, not the point at which FP costs kick in . . . FP costs for fighting are paid at the end of the battle, whether it lasts 10 seconds or 100 seconds.

Is this fair to wizards? Yes, of course it is! As others have pointed out, wizards have many ways to avoid feeling the full impact of FP loss. These include energy cost reductions for high skill, Energy Reserve (Magical), paut, Powerstones (or power items, in Dungeon Fantasy), the Recover Energy spell, the Chiron elixir if uninjured, and possibly Lend Energy, Share Energy, or Steal Energy in some situations. If anything, they're a little overpowered here.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

It may also be fairly realistic. During serious combat, you've got a lot of adrenaline in your bloodstream. It makes sense that some fatigue effects are not felt until after the battle is over.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
Ulzgoroth

It does provide an interesting opportunity for a mage who has overdone it a bit to fall over and/or lose some HP after the action is resolved, if they haven't held back enough FP to pay the bills...

Tags
combat, fatigue points, magery