Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Newbie Combat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
Two things: Arthur has just suffered a major wound (B420), which requires a HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning. However, Arthur had 12 HP, but is now down to -32, which is almost -3xHP. I assume that before resolving the knockdown and stunning, he first[Q3] has to roll immediately against HT or die (B419).
Shouldn't Arthur roll against HT twice to avoid death? Once for passing -12 HP and once for -24?

I usually roll the death checks before knockdown and stunning or any other effects. It doesn't really matter to the outcome, but can avoid unnecessary rolls. Plus it's kind of a downer to manage to stay on your feet, then find out you're dead anyway.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
By the book random hit location is almost never mandatory, but the attacker can choose to use it. And doing so can be advantageous.
It is generally advantageous for cutting and crushing, but not for impaling. Reason being that impaling weapons don't get double wounding on limbs.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Gef

Quote:
Related question: is Move and Attack with a melee weapon max skill of 9? For some reason I thought that was for ranged. I'll have to check the book (presently looking at a combat cheat sheet).
Yes, this is a Wild Swing, unless you allow FP expenditure for the extra effort of a Heroic Charge. Otherwise, avoid the cap by using a slam. Alas, the rule for slams is one of GURPS' few inelegancies.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #14
Captain Joy

Quote:
[Q1]: Do you roll for the random hit location before the defense, or after? I think I screwed Arthur’s player here, because if he knew it was the skull, perhaps he would have parried and retreated, possibly adding feverish defense, etc. So I’m guessing I should have rolled before the defense, yes?
I don't believe there is any RAW [ruies as written] ruling on this. I would suggest just being consistent, whatever you decide. Although now that that you've got me thinking about it, I would house rule that you won't know, unless you make a successful Tactics roll. (I like to promote the Tactics skill).

Quote:
[Q2]:Is knockback applied here, and is it applied first? I assume so for the former; I guess it doesn’t matter when it is applied for the latter—or does it? Perhaps in strange situations (knockback into a pool of acid?)
I think by RAW it is applied. I'd apply it immediately after the damage is determined (being mindful of hit-location caps to injury), but before injury is applied. E.g. a hit that does 12pts of damage, but due to the hit location can only cause a maximum of 6pts of injury would not cause knockback. A hit that does 6pts of damage, but because of it's damage type does 12pts of injury would not cause knockback. I.e. I base knockback on the lesser of basic damage done or maximum damage possible to the hit location if it took that full basic damage. E.g. a hit that does 12pts of damage to the torso, but only 6pts of injury (because 6pts was blocked by armor) does do knockback.

Quote:
[Q3]: Which takes precedence—the roll v. death for going more than -1xHP, or the roll for the stunning/knockdown?
I don't think there is a RAW ruling. Just make sure you declare what you're rolling against before you roll.

Quote:
[Q4]: Correct on the unconsciousness here?
Yes.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 01-31-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added knockback examples.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
It is generally advantageous for cutting and crushing, but not for impaling. Reason being that impaling weapons don't get double wounding on limbs.
Armor configuration is also a relevant factor.

Tags
combat, death, gurps 4e, newbie, unconscious