Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Greetings, all!

What would be the long-term results of a race having Daredevil, and developing from TL0 to TL9? I'm primarily looking for generic analysis, though it would help if the analysis was also made for a race which also had Honesty (Racial Only -20%) and a 1-TL advantage in aviation over other cultures (ending up TL10 in aerospace technologies while TL9 in others), and slightly retarded in Biotech (later invention of cattle-keeping, and basically zero farming due to being carnivorous) - -1 to bio-TL.

Obviously they'll have fewer safety regulations due to virtually never suffering from CritFails. If they go to war, they can get away with commanders taking higher Risk Modifier (MC spelling?), and riskier maneouvres in general. They should certainly see improvement in risky activities where no safety devices/measures are available, due to effectively having them (again, through the +1 to rolls and the crit rerolls).

What else?
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Obviously they'll have fewer safety regulations due to virtually never suffering from CritFails.
I doubt this would be true. Daredevil only protects you when you take unnecessary risks. When driving to work it won't help.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Corlock Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I doubt this would be true. Daredevil only protects you when you take unnecessary risks. When driving to work it won't help.
But if one is a daredevil, it's quite likely that one is speeding while on the way to work, and weaving in and out of traffic constantly, and since the entire race has daredevil, it's quite likely everyone is doing this. They'd seek out the adreniline rush.
Corlock Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Driving above safe speed, or without a seatbelt, is an unnecessary risk.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Greetings, all!

What would be the long-term results of a race having Daredevil, and developing from TL0 to TL9? I'm primarily looking for generic analysis, though it would help if the analysis was also made for a race which also had Honesty (Racial Only -20%) and a 1-TL advantage in aviation over other cultures (ending up TL10 in aerospace technologies while TL9 in others), and slightly retarded in Biotech (later invention of cattle-keeping, and basically zero farming due to being carnivorous) - -1 to bio-TL.

Obviously they'll have fewer safety regulations due to virtually never suffering from CritFails.
Amusingly, they'll still have more fatal accidents since when you are taking unnecessary risks you don't need a critical fail to kill yourself. They'd probably be lousy tacticians just because they'd get better results from scream and leap approaches.

And no, carnivores can't avoid farming. They need fodder for their animals, and truth to tell, they need it to stretch out their own food supplies. Dog and cat food isn't 100% meat unless it's really pricey stuff and there's a reason for that.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Honesty (Racial Only -20%)
Haven't you suggested this before? I don't see how Racial Only is applicable to Honesty. What does that even mean? Laws aren't racial, they are cultural.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Mailanka

Most. Awesome. Race. Ever.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
BlackLiger

Simply put? You end up with a race much more inclined to take risks and throw challenges against each other. Imagine an exaggerated version of Brittania-3 in Infinite worlds. (and yes, Brittania-3 is exaggerated anyway)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Mr_Sandman

Reminds me a little bit of the Kafers in 2300 AD.

Is there a particular in-game explanation of the mechanism that improves their performance when they take unnecessary risks?

Their spacecraft/cities might look like Star Wars, no railings over tremendous drops.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
I think it could plausibly be said that in David Brin's Uplift novels humans have Daredevil as a racial trait, and Galactics lack it. Which is why humans scare the bejasus out of the rest of the galaxies.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daredevil, racial template, world building, world development