Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
draxdeveloper

Default Moving characters from Banestorm to other dimensions

I am starting a Banestorm campaign.
We will play some adventures there but, at some moment the players will travel to other dimensions and here is where lies the problems.
Let's say that they travel to a... TL8 dimension, well, there is already firearms strong enough to destroy any character in the group, even if they are strong.
This is because sword and sorcery is weaker than firearms...
Is there a way to change this or to make at least possible they survive?
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
draxdeveloper

Default Re: Moving characters from Banestorm to other dimensions

Putting things straight.
At the moment we have:
A Bard with a lot of oratory and the "bard skills", he is the more "safe" character if he can learn the new language in someway (and the have linguistics)
Two Mages
A Cleric with divine favor. If it can keep the divine powers (and why not) she can be useful because of the healing powers.
A pirate
Another physical character
A banestorm victim from a cyberpunk dimension. She is the chracter with more chances to have a straight use (that compensate the difficulty in Yrth)
In order, what is worrying me more is:
The pirate and the other physical character, they are limited to meele weapons and things like bows and MAYBE some early gunpowder weapons
The mages, because magic can't beat a firearm in most of the cases
The cleric, can be useful
The bard, social skills are always social skills. You just need to learn the language.
The cyberpunk victim have almost no issues here
Old 10-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Refplace

In a straight up gun battle there likely to be in trouble but some spells can protector cause problems for enemy gunners.
Learning how to use Guns wont be too hard (or expensive) so if they can find some training time they can be on par. I would not make them pay points for higher TL to use standard gear for the current setting. So they just have to invest in a P/E skill. not bad.
And if magic is unexpected they have a good stealth/surprise bit going for them.
The spellcasters should play it smart, dont try to be artillery use the better spells,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
LokRobster

What’s the mana level in the new dimension? This will make a huge difference. Sounds like your Cleric/Healer’s God has powers across all dimensions, so that delver is good to go.

And is the party attacking everyone to tak their stuff? Many adventures possibilities in changed dimensions are exploration or ally-finding, finding out what you can about your new world, deciding what you’d like to do there (get back home? Rule the city? Find a nice farm and settle down?) and going about making those dreams a reality. Actually facing down crazed gunmen should be low on the priority list of desired confrontations. And firing a gun is a fairly simple thing to learn w a bit of practice, so look forward to your Primatives upgrading weapons in short order. A Little time and opportunity will have them being able to shoot back against their enemies.

And a HUGE thing to remember about “Spells vs Guns” isn’t that a bullet beats a damaging spell in HP loss, but that Spells are so versatile when you go at the problem differently than a ‘damage per second’ contest. Blind a gunman, put him to sleep, take away the light in a room, cause a mental stun, explode some ammo inside the gun w a pyro spell inside a gun, or a hit of Telekinesis onto a bullet’s primer, or light the dude’s mustache on fire, or trick him w an illusion of his wingman looking just like one of your party... and that doesnt even scratch the surface of how Magic can make an end-run around a TL8 gunman and his projectiles. :)

Best way to have your low tech folk survive is to give them opportunities to make High Tech friends before hitting foes with serious firepower. Of course if the party attacks their prospective friend encounter to kill and take their stuff, then they are going to have trouble in This Brave New World!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The spellcasters should play it smart, dont try to be artillery use the better spells,
I agree with this. If your sole focus as a mage is fireball, ice dagger, etc., that's not going to be on par against a thug with a .38 Special. However, if the mage has loaded up on defensive (Protection & Warning), physical buffing (Body Control), mental domination (Mind Control), hasting (Movement), and stealth (Air, Body Control, Light/Darkness, Sound) spells, they can be a real terror by controlling the battlefield and assisting the more physical party members.

And if they have language spells from the Knowledge college, that'd make the transition to other worlds a lot easier.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
draxdeveloper

Ok, this solve spell vs guns but not "sword and bows" vs guns
Old 10-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
Ok, this solve spell vs guns but not "sword and bows" vs guns
Bows are relatively silent and they likely will be far deadlier then modern people expect. But your right in a straight up fight the lower TL weapons will lose. That is why they were replaced after all.
However your archers likely have a high DX so once they learn about guns they can get very good at them very fast with a firing range and instructor. And their knife skills are likely really good so they can be deadly in close combat compared to average modern people who use them as a backup.
There in a new world they will have to adapt. Challenging but very feasible if they play it smart.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Note that leaving the sargasso at all is supposed to be nearly impossible.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Impossible via technological, "psychic", or mundane magical means. That still leaves a lot of other possibilities.
Heck, one could have a "natural" reverse Banstorm that just tosses characters out without rhyme or reason. It's not like it would be noticeable as such to anyone but the transported.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Impossible via technological, "psychic", or mundane magical means. That still leaves a lot of other possibilities.
Heck, one could have a "natural" reverse Banstorm that just tosses characters out without rhyme or reason. It's not like it would be noticeable as such to anyone but the transported.
Sure. I was just pointing this out in case the OP missed it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote