Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #51
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Paper Men and Plastic Monsters: GURPS Content Post

Mainly I realized that since you are calling for the favor prior to play it needed to have constant FoA.

I think my next post may be about my experience with vehicular allies, since that has come up here recently a lot too.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #52
Kalzazz

Your original build had Secret, -50%, and had Provides Equipment as +100% it looks like, but still had Constantly

Your new build still has Constantly, lacks Secret, and has Provides Equipment as +150%

So, Patron 10 pts, +100% Equipment -50% Secret = 15, x4 for constantly = 60, 1/5 for 1 time only = 12, then 1pt for sig gear = 13

So, Patron 10 pts, +100% Equipment -50% Secret +50% Signaturization = 20, x4 for constantly = 80, 1/5 for 1 time only = 16

If we take the secret off, we get
So, Patron 10 pts, +100% Equipment = 20, x4 for constantly = 80, 1/5 for 1 time only = 16, then 1pt for sig gear = 17 which matches your new post

So it looks like you removed Secret, and I think the 150% for Equipment may be a typo, unless there is something I'm missing

What did you think of trying to generalize the pg 84 of Supers to non vehicle equipment notion? I admit, now that you discussed Signature Asset without specific reference to large items (though still expensive items) I am curious whether that approach would work. It would seem a potentially feasible approach to 'have a cool sword'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Your original build had Secret, -50%, and had Provides Equipment as +100% it looks like, but still had Constantly
So it is. Fixed.
Quote:
What did you think of trying to generalize the pg 84 of Supers to non vehicle equipment notion?
I'm inclined to think that while nonsenient allies are sometimes pretty useful (and as I said that's probably going to be Tuesday's post) they are also pretty abusable. I think they aren't a good fit for anything that does have a dollar cost in the setting, or for anything that it is really stretching to build as character (so basically anything that isn't a vehicle).
Quote:
I admit, now that you discussed Signature Asset without specific reference to large items (though still expensive items)
Well I ignored that for the purposes of seeing if it suggested a point cap on Signature Gear, only.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-10-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #54
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

For my (late) GURPSDay post, as promised, I discuss non-sentient Allies.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #55
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Santa Claus and Signature Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
1. Favor is 'one time use' by another name, having your patron have plot protection powers is kind of moot if the patron is 'used up' with one use.
Well then charge a point for it. That will actually be less.
Quote:
2. While you might not know the 'true identity' of your patron, the fact that the PC/player is getting the exact piece of very expensive equipment they want makes it kind of moot. (again, the point of 'secret' patron is that the PC/player is giving up the capability to directly influence or interact with there patron, it does good things for them, but the PC can never direct or trigger those good things).
The reason Secret is there is because even if you do know the source of the item, it happened before play started so you don't have any opportunity to interact with it. If you don't agree with that removing Secret isn't a big deal.

Quote:
I think that a patron willing to give you 1% of its net worth in a single item is about right; Thus you may have to move into higher point values for the patron.
Well I was trying to figure out what the maximum you would want to spend on Signature Gear is, so the minimum Parton already represents that maximum bound. You might want to have to spend more, but there's no reason to go all the way to incalculable assets if the item isn't that expensive.

Quote:
Given those changes I would say that the 'maximum' number of points to be spent on an item:
Patron (incalcuable wealth 30)- (equipment worth more than starting wealth +100%, minimal intervention -50%, only one peice of equipment -60%)[27]
This isn't really the same thing. This is clearly an entity which is still active in the campaign, not one which dissappeared before it started. If your uncle left you his sword when he died, he isn't around to make appearance rolls and reaction rolls.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-22-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #56
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

For the Halloween theme week, an Annunaki glyph based on an SCP object.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #57
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Late GURPSDay post: SCP-106 in GURPS.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #58
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Better late than never:
Last month's session of ZIASUDRA
Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I compared my previous guesses to the actual contents of Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #60
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Today, I break my blogging hiatus to provide an example of making a character using Sean Punch's "Pointless Slaying and Looting" from Pyramind #3/72:Alternate Dungeons.

Tags
blogs