Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #31
Shadekeep

Default Re: Painting minis

I agree that airbrushing creates some amazing effects that can very difficult to produce any other way. I've not really done it myself, but have admired the efforts of those who do it well. I'm also old enough to remember the halcyon days of airbrushed vans with lurid murals painted across their sides.

My own painting methods are likely to be pretty simplistic for these vehicles. Primer base code, hand painting of colors and details, and maybe some stencil work for graphics. But if I can find a local airbrushing class I could see that becoming viable too.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #32
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
My own painting methods are likely to be pretty simplistic for these vehicles. Primer base code, hand painting of colors and details, and maybe some stencil work for graphics.
Even if that is the extent of what you do you can really improve the appearance with a wash, just a very dilute black paint brushed over the mini, and drybrushing, using a slightly lighter color than the surface with most wiped off the brush to create highlights.

It's two extra coats, so there is more time drying, but the difference that makes is amazing.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
It's two extra coats, so there is more time drying, but the difference that makes is amazing.
I will paint tires, and maybe some silver on gun parts. Primer / ink / dry brush is all very low skill with great results! I am going to look for decals for numbers and racing stripes too. But I am not sure if most of the miniatures have many flat surfaces for decals!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #34
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I will paint tires, and maybe some silver on gun parts. Primer / ink / dry brush is all very low skill with great results! I am going to look for decals for numbers and racing stripes too. But I am not sure if most of the miniatures have many flat surfaces for decals!
Floating a decal onto a curved surface is not as easy as onto a flat one but it is doable with patience and a steady hand.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #35
Shadekeep

Quote:
Even if that is the extent of what you do you can really improve the appearance with a wash, just a very dilute black paint brushed over the mini, and drybrushing, using a slightly lighter color than the surface with most wiped off the brush to create highlights.

Good suggestions, and I probably will do some drybrushing as well. I really enjoyed the effect that technique had when I painted metal miniatures.

On another note, I haven't heard if they've settled on the final material for the minis yet, unless I overlooked the announcement. Hopefully we'll get that in an update when they find a material they are happy with. I'm holding off on buying paints until I hear what it is.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #36
Magesmiley

Quote:
Floating a decal onto a curved surface is not as easy as onto a flat one but it is doable with patience and a steady hand.
A trick that I've used in the past for applying situation like this is to look for a spot where you can make a small incision in the decal, from the center to one edge. This lets you overlap the decal slightly, making it much easier to apply to a curved surface.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #37
Shadekeep

And the winner is - ABS

Now to pick paints that work well with it. I'm guessing most of the ones already discussed will fit the bill.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #38
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Do any of you have suggestions of where to get bits to attach to the vehicles such as guns, engines, etc?

Also, where would you get the decals being discussed? This is my first foray into modding cars.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #39
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Do any of you have suggestions of where to get bits to attach to the vehicles such as guns, engines, etc?
You could always resort to kitbashing if you find model kits with appropriately sized elements. Most car models are likely too big to recycle engine blocks and so forth from, but warship or robot or spaceship kits may have interesting weapons and geegaws that you can bolt on. You'd have to use a glue that is safe for both kinds of plastics, and likewise compatible paints.

For decals, start with a web search and then check that the products are compatible. A quick search here turned up this site, for example - https://www.hobbylinc.com/plastic-model-vehicle-decals
Old 01-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #40
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
You could always resort to kitbashing if you find model kits with appropriately sized elements. Most car models are likely too big to recycle engine blocks and so forth from, but warship or robot or spaceship kits may have interesting weapons and geegaws that you can bolt on. You'd have to use a glue that is safe for both kinds of plastics, and likewise compatible paints.
Yeah, kitbashing was my fallback. I was hoping that some of the more experienced modders had a goto for "sprue full of car guns" or something similar.

Quote:
For decals, start with a web search and then check that the products are compatible. A quick search here turned up this site, for example - https://www.hobbylinc.com/plastic-model-vehicle-decals
Checking it out.

Thank you!