Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #471
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Has anyone made a Cornocopia spell? Like... this bowl will create any food you want when you hold it and wish for it... until the spell ends (or it uses up it's subject weight?)
Everfull Basket of Apples: When cast upon a basket, this spell results in it producing any quantity of delicious apples, up to filling the basket completely. This effect lasts on the basket for 10 days, and any uneaten apples vanish a day later (those that have been consumed are digested normally). The spell can create up to half a ton of apples.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Create Matter (6) + Duration, 2 weeks (10) + Subject Weight, 1000 lb (4). 22 energy (22x1).

Lesser Sense Mind to only produce when the holder wills it, Lesser Create Matter is sufficient for creating food, and the mismatch between the stated duration and the build is to give sufficient time to have all the nutrients and energy be extracted by the body.
EDIT: A similar ritual might suffice to create any food, although I'd be tempted to throw a Lesser Control Magic into the mix. Creating a cooked meal or similar (not just raw materials, like apples or raw beef) would probably require a crafting roll.

Last edited by Varyon; 10-05-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #472
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Everfull Basket of Apples: When cast upon a basket, this spell results in it producing any quantity of delicious apples, up to filling the basket completely. This effect lasts on the basket for 10 days, and any uneaten apples vanish a day later (those that have been consumed are digested normally). The spell can create up to half a ton of apples.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Create Matter (6) + Duration, 2 weeks (10) + Subject Weight, 1000 lb (4). 22 energy (22x1).

Lesser Sense Mind to only produce when the holder wills it, Lesser Create Matter is sufficient for creating food, and the mismatch between the stated duration and the build is to give sufficient time to have all the nutrients and energy be extracted by the body.
EDIT: A similar ritual might suffice to create any food, although I'd be tempted to throw a Lesser Control Magic into the mix. Creating a cooked meal or similar (not just raw materials, like apples or raw beef) would probably require a crafting roll.
Thank you!
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #473
Dalillama

Exploding bullet
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: damage
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).
Bullet goes off like a (Black Powder) grenade on impact.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (5) + Damage 3d+4 cr ex (+50%) inc (+10%) (15) 20 energy (20x1).
(I used a Lesser effect because it's in the same ballpark as doubling the damage of a rifle round.)

Last edited by Dalillama; 10-12-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #474
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Exploding bullet
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: damage
Bullet goes off like a (Black Powder) grenade on impact.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (5) + Damage 3d+4 cr ex (+50%) inc (+10%) (15) 20 energy (20x1).
(I used a Lesser effect because it's in the same ballpark as doubling the damage of a rifle round.)
You'll want to add Lesser Control Magic to make this a Conditional Spell or Charm - otherwise, as written, it just makes a bullet explode, regardless of it it's been fired or has hit anything yet. You don't need to pay the +50% for Explosive - dropping to double damage handles the cost there. I'm not certain making something explosive will fall into Lesser status, even if the actual damage is at or below that of a typical handheld weapon, but that's up the GM.

So, your spell would actually be more like Lesser Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + External Damage 3d+4 cr ex (5) + Incendiary (2). 19 energy (19x1). Note 5 energy in damage is actually enough for 4d+2, but the level below that, 4d, is a touch below 3d+4, so I rounded up. If the GM rules an explosive bullet is a Greater Effect, energy gets boosted to 57, but you can pump more energy in for more damage.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #475
Dalillama

Quote:
You'll want to add Lesser Control Magic to make this a Conditional Spell or Charm - otherwise, as written, it just makes a bullet explode, regardless of it it's been fired or has hit anything yet. You don't need to pay the +50% for Explosive - dropping to double damage handles the cost there. I'm not certain making something explosive will fall into Lesser status, even if the actual damage is at or below that of a typical handheld weapon, but that's up the GM.

So, your spell would actually be more like Lesser Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + External Damage 3d+4 cr ex (5) + Incendiary (2). 19 energy (19x1). Note 5 energy in damage is actually enough for 4d+2, but the level below that, 4d, is a touch below 3d+4, so I rounded up. If the GM rules an explosive bullet is a Greater Effect, energy gets boosted to 57, but you can pump more energy in for more damage.
Fortunately, I am the GM. I'm the one building the spell because the player has limited grasp of the magic system and the character has limited scope. Greater effects are going to call for greater skill levels than the PC has yet,
but some kind of capacity for going boom is going to be very useful when the swarm of bat monsters descends on them.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #476
Terwin

Cloak of Shadows
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Energy, Lesser control magic
Inherent Modifiers: Obscure(Vision)(Defensive +50%, Stealthy + 100%) 5 energy/level
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell will hide the subject in a cloak of shadows, making it harder to see/target them visually. At the highest level it makes the target completely invisible. This cloak can be summoned or dismissed at any time during the spell's duration with triggers specified during the casting.

Typical casting: Greater Destroy Energy(5) + Obscure 5[25] + duration 1 week(9) 117 energy (39x3)

Questions:
1) can a spell(or charm) have an additional lesser control magic effect to allow the target to enable/disable the effect(s) with an appropriate trigger?
(presumably the trigger(s) would be subject to the same limitations as a conditional ritual; I would expect the spell duration to continue to be used up regardless of the current status of the effect)

2) If the effect being generated(in this case Obscure) is inherently switchable (it has the 'Always On -50%' limitation listed in it's description), is such an effect even needed?

3) is is more in line with the preferred approach to use Bestows a Bonus pricing instead of alternate trait (Obscure) pricing? How much range would be needed?
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #477
ajardoor

Better Criticals Charm [Anyone got a better name for this?]
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration.

Normally cast as a charm, this spell allows its holder to manually choose their result on the Critical Hit Table or Critical Head Blow Table (B556) instead of randomly rolling for it - whenever a critical success is rolled on an attack roll - for the duration.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 30 minutes (2). 12 energy (12x1).
Old 11-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #478
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Better Criticals Charm [Anyone got a better name for this?]
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration.

Normally cast as a charm, this spell allows its holder to manually choose their result on the Critical Hit Table or Critical Head Blow Table (B556) instead of randomly rolling for it - whenever a critical success is rolled on an attack roll - for the duration.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 30 minutes (2). 12 energy (12x1).
No way is this legal. This is essentially using Super Luck for a single roll. Modified with something like "Aspected, Critical Hit Tables only" (worth maybe -60%, but probably -40%). Remember, one of the results on those tables is triple damage and that's going to be the one you almost always choose if you get to choose at all.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #479
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
No way is this legal. This is essentially using Super Luck for a single roll. Modified with something like "Aspected, Critical Hit Tables only" (worth maybe -60%, but probably -40%). Remember, one of the results on those tables is triple damage and that's going to be the one you almost always choose if you get to choose at all.
Bestows a Variable Bonus combined with Bestows a Variable Penalty might be justifiable. The bonus/penalty being variable would be worth +4 energy or +20%, whichever is more. Bestows a Variable Bonus (Narrow: Critical Hits) 5 would cost around 20 energy, Variable Penalty would be the same. That would be a 52 energy charm (assuming you can get away with Lesser Control Chance; 156 otherwise), and would let you adjust the result up or down by up to 5.

Note applying modifiers like this to things other than damage, as I have done here, isn't RAW.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #480
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Bestows a Variable Bonus combined with Bestows a Variable Penalty might be justifiable. The bonus/penalty being variable would be worth +4 energy or +20%, whichever is more. Bestows a Variable Bonus (Narrow: Critical Hits) 5 would cost around 20 energy, Variable Penalty would be the same. That would be a 52 energy charm (assuming you can get away with Lesser Control Chance; 156 otherwise), and would let you adjust the result up or down by up to 5.

Note applying modifiers like this to things other than damage, as I have done here, isn't RAW.
You could use a Broad bonus/penalty to give a +1 or -1, I suppose. That actually may be more fair, honestly.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology