Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
d-vils_wingman

Default Pet Monster

The Pet Monster card from the Fairy Dust expansion reads: "Play this card when you are in a combat with a monster of Level 3 or less. It quits being a monster, and becomes your un-stealable small Item, worth its levels in combat. You get its treasure, but no level. If there are other monsters in combat, you may use your new pet against them."
My question, I think, is in the meaning implied by the capital "L" and the lower case "l" in "Level" and "level". Is "Level" the original monster strength and "level" the modified monster strength? I would assume this to be the case for all instances of that word, with "Level" being the printed value on the original card in play and "level" being the modified strength.
This only confusing to me in that a Level 18 monster with 3 -5 monster enhancers on it would have a strength of 3, but still be counted as a Level 18. Instead of "worth its levels in combat", should I read it as "worth its unmodified strength as a combat bonus" if it were not possible to use a Level 18 monster as a pet?
Any clarification here to set me straight would be greatly appreciated. I've been arguing with a friend over what it might mean.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Scummbuddy

Default Re: Pet Monster

I am assuming...

The base level of the Monster, such as the Spider, or the Potted Plant are low enough to be pets. A Plutonium Dragon with several "Baby..." modifiers placed on it will still not make it qualified to be a pet, ever.
Scummbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Nothing changes the Level of a Monster. A Level 20 Monster, regardless of how many -5 Monster Enhancers are played on it, will still be a Level 20 Monster. Also, there is no Level/level controversy or confusion to be found here, since the number of "levels" a monster has is equal to its Level. With respect to combat, a Monster has a combat strength, which, as defined by the rules, incorporates the Monster's Level and any bonuses/penalties the Monster receives through Monster Enhancers, one-shot Items and other conditions (based on the character(s) it's facing). The word "levels" and the phrase "combat strength" are not the same thing and should not be considered as such.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
krspond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Nothing changes the Level of a Monster.
Typeographical Error would change the monster to a level 1 and make is susceptible to Pet Monster, correct? But would it then just be a +1 Bonus Pet? Or would that be a sneaky way to have a +20 Plutonium Dragon Pet?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Grax

Quote:
Originally Posted by krspond View Post
Typeographical Error would change the monster to a level 1 and make is susceptible to Pet Monster, correct? But would it then just be a +1 Bonus Pet? Or would that be a sneaky way to have a +20 Plutonium Dragon Pet?
My assumption from the wording, and the previous rulings would be that it would be combat specific situation, and would not give you the ability to "pet monster" the P.Dragon.

I'm looking at it as - you can only use the Pet monster card if the ORIGINAL level (before ANY changes) of the monster is three or less. Meaning that if the monster has a negative to your class or race (level 8 with a -5 to orc for instance) it would still be the level 8 in this regard. (in short effective 3 in combat, but an 8 vs the pet monster card)
Grax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krspond View Post
Typographical Error says that the Monster is to be treated as if it were a Level 1 Monster for all purposes. That doesn't change the actual Level of the Monster, per se. I'd say that since it says "for all purposes," a Monster that has been hit with Typographical Error can be hit with Pet Monster (until I'm told otherwise by a higher power) and stays Level 1 as a pet, so the owner would need to keep the Typographical Error card with the Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fairy dust, pet monster