Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Flash of self-realization

I was just over on the Car Wars forums, perusing the posts and whetting my appetite for the upcoming edition. I love Car Wars. I played it for years, long after I stopped playing most other games. I was a regular contributor to ADQ. I've designed hundreds of vehicles and developed scores of scenarios. It was my game during my late teens. I'm really excited about the up-coming release.

But it just hit me…I love Ogre/GEV more. Certainly the lack of support for Ogre/GEV during the '80's helped pushed me into the Car Wars world, and Car Wars was (is?) an amazing game. There was no lack of "flash" and "new" during that time for Car Wars. But when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, I absolutely LOVE to play Ogre/GEV. I love designing scenarios, play-testing units, trying out new strategies on old problems. There is an elegance to the game that is difficult to quantify, but I think most of you understand.

I apologize for the randomness of this post, but sometimes those moments of self-enlightenment need expressing. I really love this game!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Frost Giant

Default Re: Flash of self-realization

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
There is an elegance to the game that is difficult to quantify, but I think most of you understand.

I apologize for the randomness of this post, but sometimes those moments of self-enlightenment need expressing. I really love this game!

D.
I think there is a review in The Ogre Book that calls the game "elegant". I always like the phrase;)

Last edited by Frost Giant; 09-23-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
But it just hit me…I love Ogre/GEV more. Certainly the lack of support for Ogre/GEV during the '80's helped pushed me into the Car Wars world, and Car Wars was (is?) an amazing game. There was no lack of "flash" and "new" during that time for Car Wars. But when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, I absolutely LOVE to play Ogre/GEV. I love designing scenarios, play-testing units, trying out new strategies on old problems. There is an elegance to the game that is difficult to quantify, but I think most of you understand.

Yeah, there are a lot of games I've played over the years, but Ogre/G.E.V. was and is still my favorite above all favorites. Maybe because it was my first "real" game; who knows for sure. I got the Red Box D&D Basic and G.E.V. at the same time for Christmas; the two games couldn't be further apart in style. I played them both to death, but I was always drawn to the strategic side at lot more than the fantasy side.

It's no secret I love this game, too. :-)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Jen

It is SO awesome to hear this kind of thing!

Jen
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Ashley

If not my first, truly can't remember, one of the first ever board games I bought.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Frost Giant

May have been my first, also. One of them, anyway, right after I discovered that the comic shop where I was buying my new hobby also sold games;)
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

Thanks for sharing.

OGRE does everything right. It does what makes for a great game that only gets better as time goes on. It's greater than the sum of it's parts in so many ways.
There is enough of a background laid out, while also allowing for ones imagination to wonder about things within the OGREverse...new Sceanarios, new units (lol, guilty as charged).

You can run small skirmishes, large battles and anything in between. the unit mix has very well done opposite extremes with complimentary units in between. There are so many possibilities.
It's a really cool theme too. Killer machines, AI, ect. Factory States.

Played OGRE 1st edition when it first rolled onto the gaming scene on atomic powered tread units back in the 70's in my late teens. I never cared for games that used chits, but this was different...it was OGRE! Just a really cool future tank warfare idea with really cool looking units. I'll never forget my first impression of the legendary OGRE Mark 5 artwork.

OGRE DE I think has really propelled OGRE into new territory because for the first time players have access to tons of units and structures, ect for a fraction of what the minis would cost. That's what really blew me away. All these units I now had that I did not before got me thinking about what and how they could be used.
OGRE DE is a nice solid step up from the flat chit counters of before, because these are shaped nicely and color.
As much as I luv the 3D OGRE Minis and hope they return to their rightful place again, these chipboard units allow players to really set up anything they can think of basically, simply because we have so many units now right out of the box. They aren't as nice as finished minis of course, but they are lighter, and "pre-painted" and easy to put together. They are the perfect mix between the two, the best of both worlds.