Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
alsteel

Default Are Ogre minis DEAD?

Fair question. The boxed sets aren't in print anymore and once the limited single ones in WH23 are gone they are gone.

Does SJG (or the market) have any interest in doing another mini's production run or are we forever left adrift on the rocky seas of ebay and the like? I've been playing Ogre minis since the beginning and am completely disheartened by the fact that I can no longer find Ogres (except the occasional $150+ MkV on eBay!!) and the more specialized minis.

It seems gamers still enjoy Ogre, just not so much with the minis. I would LOVE to see another production run but is that false hope? What say ye?
alsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Misplaced Buckeye

Default Re: Are Ogre minis DEAD?

Just a thought. Since the New DE Ogre uses 3d counters it seems like SJ is merging the two concepts?
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
jfleisher

Hopefully not dead, just dormant. Like Godzilla.

I do feel a lot like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football though.

I recall hearing reading "$450,000 - GOAL ACHIEVED! - Okay! Somehow, some way, we WILL bring back the Ogre miniatures (and not just the Ogres themselves, but the whole line). Maybe resin, maybe metal. I have already gotten some interesting responses from custom casters."

They came back, but for a limited time. I bought what I could, but they disappeared again before other could add to their armies.

I realize it was not very profitable for SJG to continue making the miniatures, but what about licensing? Plastics? On-demand casting? Pre-payment?

Decals for Ogre minis were discussed on the forum several times, but nothing ever materialized.

In the meantime, Ogre minis are going for collectible prices, and I daresay a profit could be made on a miniature selling upwards of $150.00.

I love the game, and I have taught my son how to play, and he loves the miniatures and wants his own armies, unfortunately I have to tell him they are not available...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
alsteel

Agreed. But DE ogre is also out of print. The only way to get a copy is to get lucky at a local hobby shop or get gouged on Amazon or eBay. I'd love to step into this realm but looks like I missed the boat...at least until the next production run whenever that will be. While I like the ease and relative low cost of 3-D counters, nothing captures the experience quite like a minature.

Steve Jackson games already has the models. I wonder how difficult it would be to have the miniatures cast in plastic? Would that be less expensive or more expensive in the short run ? I'm fairly certain that plastic would be less expensive but I know nothing about production casting and what kind of volume commitment it would take to get started. Has Steve Jackson games ever even considered releasing miniatures in plastic as opposed to metal? Metal appeals to purists and collectors but for gameplay I'm certain a plastic ogre would have the same appeal and more so than a cardboard cut out. Especially if it was one third the price and was readily available. New Kickstarter campaign anyone?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
poi

Set up costs for plastic are huge.

Honk if Pluto is a planet
poi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Jen

I promise, as soon as we know anything, y'all will know it!

Jen
Old 08-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
alsteel

Thanks Jen! Looking forward to seeing another printing of the DE. I hate to mention the "evil empire" but the one thing Games Workshop has going for it is that they keep their pipeline loaded. Old players can keep adding to their armies and new ones can easily get started. SJG seems really good and charging their base only then to let them down by limited production runs. Years ago I had 5-6 new players interested in Ogre minis but the limited production stopped them from being able to build up their armies. When they could no longer get minis they sold their collections and/or switched to a different game.

SJG seems to have a good thing going with a game that has been in production in one form or another for over 35 years (!!). It would be great to see it continue in a way that would make it available for new and old fans.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
jfleisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by poi View Post
Set up costs for plastic are huge.
Actually the costs for plastic injection molding have been dropping steadily for years, they are still high, but not astronomical.

http://www.wired.com/2013/01/protomold/

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteel View Post
Agreed. But DE ogre is also out of print. The only way to get a copy is to get lucky at a local hobby shop or get gouged on Amazon or eBay.
A little off-topic: but it looks like the market price is about $150 to your door (in the US). For a game that /should have cost/ about $400, that's not too bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OGRE-DESIGNE...item1ea2507d63

Or you can pick up Ogre Pocket Edition for $3.

On-topic: so much of the last four decades of Ogre has been hand-crafted, you're hardly too late. People have made beautiful maps and kit-bashed models for years. Traditional craft is back in fashion and 3d printers keep getting cheaper. It's hardly over.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
alsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
A little off-topic: but it looks like the market price is about $150 to your door (in the US). For a game that /should have cost/ about $400, that's not too bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OGRE-DESIGNE...item1ea2507d63
I did see that one on eBay. SJG W23 lists the out-of-print price at $100.00. So to me $150 seems a bit steep and I've seen $175+. Why a $400 price tag for printed and cut cardboard?

Quote:
Or you can pick up Ogre Pocket Edition for $3.
Got it... about 35 years ago. ;)

Quote:
On-topic: so much of the last four decades of Ogre has been hand-crafted, you're hardly too late. People have made beautiful maps and kit-bashed models for years. Traditional craft is back in fashion and 3d printers keep getting cheaper. It's hardly over.
Agreed, I have some of the original MM minis in my collection, including a Mk V. I've actually molded and cast some of the SJG minis to save costs for my own collection. BUT new players hardly want to come out of the gate kit bashing or substituting minis from other makers. Do you think WarMachine or WH40K would have lasted if they launched their minis line and 6 months later you couldn't find them anywhere? Then had to wait YEARS for a limited production run. Doubtful...

It's nothing short of amazing that SJG Ogre has lasted so long. They have a winning formula in a "beer-and-pretzels" gaming system that's simple, semi-realistic, fast paced and fun. It's an easy sell to get new players fired up to play Ogre. But the minis... not so much.

Personally I think the minis rules will persist but I seriously doubt SJG will put much more skin in the minis making game. I don't pretend to know the financial burden manufacturing mini's puts on SJG but from what I've read here and other places, SJG isn't exactly awash in cash from their minis line... quite the opposite, it looks like they hardly break even. If that's the case I doubt we will see another production run soon unless it's a "pre-order" or somebody strikes a royalty deal to run the minis and cut SJG in.