Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Jen

Default Scenario #11- Counterattack!

Hi all! The Ogre Designer's Edition Scenarios continue apace!

This week, we bring you Counterattack!

We'll take feedback through September 27, so you've got some time after GenCon!

Speaking of that, hope to see some of y'all around the booth!

Jen
Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
sgbeal

Default Re: Scenario #11- Counterattack!

a) Team designations "Red" (upper case) vs "blue" (lower case). The team colors (red/blue resp. black/white) currently differ across the scenarios but should be made consistent across all of them.

b) "If the roll result is a wave that was already activated, it remains off-board." seems to imply that a wave which is already on-board must be removed from the board. Recommend rewording: "If the roll result is a wave that was already activated, no new wave is activated."

c) "The Defenders objective" missing apostrophe: "The Defender's objective"

d) "Cruise Missiles and Missile crawlers are prohibited from being used." the last part ("from being used") is superfluous - recommend removing it. Also, capitalization of Cruise Missiles and Missile Crawlers should be consistent.

e) "For a variant, the Infantry..." sounds odd. Recommend "As a variant, the Infantry..."
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post
a) Team designations "Red" (upper case) vs "blue" (lower case). The team colors (red/blue resp. black/white) currently differ across the scenarios but should be made consistent across all of them.

b) "If the roll result is a wave that was already activated, it remains off-board." seems to imply that a wave which is already on-board must be removed from the board. Recommend rewording: "If the roll result is a wave that was already activated, no new wave is activated."

c) "The Defenders objective" missing apostrophe: "The Defender's objective"

d) "Cruise Missiles and Missile crawlers are prohibited from being used." the last part ("from being used") is superfluous - recommend removing it. Also, capitalization of Cruise Missiles and Missile Crawlers should be consistent.

e) "For a variant, the Infantry..." sounds odd. Recommend "As a variant, the Infantry..."
Awesome! Thank you.

Does anyone else have feelings about red/blue/purple/black/white/whatever colors being used consistently? I left them as the author wrote, but if the majority would like consistency, I'm happy to oblige.

Jen
Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
sgbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Does anyone else have feelings about red/blue/purple/black/white/whatever colors being used consistently? I left them as the author wrote, but if the majority would like consistency, I'm happy to oblige.
while i'm personally rather ambivalent (=no _strong_ feelings on it), an online colleague once gave me a useful piece of advice in the context of a software project we both worked on: "the source code should look like it all came from the same person." Having it so does indeed leave a more professional impression (IMO). Whether that means black/white or red/blue ... arguments can be made for either one, but i tend towards red/blue simply to avoid any potential racial connotations (OTOH, black/white has a much longer history in Ogre).
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post
while i'm personally rather ambivalent (=no _strong_ feelings on it), an online colleague once gave me a useful piece of advice in the context of a software project we both worked on: "the source code should look like it all came from the same person." Having it so does indeed leave a more professional impression (IMO). Whether that means black/white or red/blue ... arguments can be made for either one, but i tend towards red/blue simply to avoid any potential racial connotations (OTOH, black/white has a much longer history in Ogre).
Thanks! I'll put this in my notes and we'll go from there.

Jen
Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
offsides

Even though the original (and likely future) versions all used black & white, these scenarios came out of the ODE kickstarter, so I would use Red & Blue (especially since at least a couple scenarios talk about 3rd or more sides with additional colors). People playing these scenarios with only black & white counters shouldn't have a problem swapping colors :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Awesome! Thank you.

Jen
Colors for factions are an odd thing in Ogre. They have had an interesting (sometimes confusing) history over the last 30+ years. In the context of the scenarios (at least in the one I submitted), I tried to refer to the ODE-specific versions and based it on what's actually in the box. My scenario actually switched sides as a result (i.e., Combine and PE were picked because of which side had enough of a specific unit, even though from a fluff perspective it made more sense the other way around). I have a feeling others tried to do the same.

Consistency in my mind means that when someone describes a color, they are describing the faction associated with that color. If those two things do not reflect the current state of ODE's definition of faction=color (e.g., calling Black Rose units "Red"), they should be fixed and unified.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Jen

Thanks! I'm tracking these comments, and I really appreciate the feedback.

Jen
Old 08-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Consistency in my mind means that when someone describes a color, they are describing the faction associated with that color. If those two things do not reflect the current state of ODE's definition of faction=color (e.g., calling Black Rose units "Red"), they should be fixed and unified.
I'd avoid giving factions color labels unless it's a "historical" scenario. If we're just setting up a generic situation I want to be free to play Black Rose vs. Combine or Nihon vs. Paneuro.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I'd avoid giving factions color labels unless it's a "historical" scenario. If we're just setting up a generic situation I want to be free to play Black Rose vs. Combine or Nihon vs. Paneuro.
Which can be easily done by using the right colors for the counters; that's the point. You don't need colors at all, but if the colors used don't match the faction noted, it will confuse things. Remember, this is about how to consistently explain to someone how to find the intended units in the box, not limiting your choices of which forces can fight each other (I really don't care what units you use). In fact, I don't care about color at all. It's only important to be able to distinguish between forces. However, when describing a scenario, consistency matters.

If you say "Use Black Rose and Combine counters," that's clear if they know (i.e., remember what was on the Sprue) which are those counters. It's also clear if you say "Use the Green and Red units" (assuming you are describing the base color of the armor unit itself). What is NOT clear is if you say "Use the Black Rose (blue) and Combine (green) units)."
Closed Thread