Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #141
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Homebrew Monsters

Currently on my Art Todo List (also known as "list of excuses to play around on the computer")
  • Demon (Generic, Worthy) - who doesn't like demons?
  • Imps (Generic Fodder) - fun
  • Succubus (Greater Worthy) - there are a metric button of resources for attractive scantily dressed demon-women on the Internet. Of course. I can't NOT do a Succubus because now I finally have a reason to use them.
  • Hell Knight (Lesser Boss) - finally! a reason why I bought that gothic armor...
  • Titan Spider (Worthy) - finally! a reason why I bought that spider model...

You may notice a theme here.

I have a hoard of stuff I've been impulse buying "because it might be useful for illustrating incidents from our (dungeon) fantasy games one day". I haven't actually used most of it even once. It's like buying Magic cards, only they're easier to store...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #142
Gold & Appel Inc

Un Chupacabra Regular (Greater Fodder)

Like a big dog, only with glowing red eyes, three huge fangs, and leathery bat wings!

Code:
ST 11	 HP 11	    Speed 5.25
DX 10	 Will 11     Move 5 (10 Flying)
IQ 5	 Per 12
HT 11	 FP 11       SM +0
Dodge 8	 Parry 9     DR 0
Bite (12): 1d Imp + Blood Leech

Traits: Claws (Climbing/Perching Accessory); Confusion (Visual); Discriminatory Smell; Flying (Winged); Fur; Leech x3 (Blood w/ Fangs); Night Vision x5; Quadruped; Striking ST +2 (Biting Only); Temperature Tolerance x1; Uncontrollable Appetite (9-) (Blood); Wild Animal;

Skills: Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-12; Stealth (A) DX+2 [8]-12;

Special Powers: Confusion (Magic); Leech x3 (Biological)

Class: Monster

Notes: The basic chupacabra is just a bestial nocturnal predator, but it operates as a patient and cunning stalker and chooses its opportunities carefully to avoid being seen unless it smells fresh blood. Its blood-sucking capability is very efficient so it can feed and escape quickly, draining 3 HP/round and healing 1. It is a graceless flier (in fact many believe that it cannot fly at all and merely uses its wings to glide after launching itself with its powerful hind legs, and subspecies with Super Jump and Gliding may exist) and tires easily in the air, seldom ranging far from its roost in search of prey. It's not very strong or fast, but its blazing red eyes can stun and disorient unwary delvers long enough for a surprisingly lethal attack if it is cornered or made confident by numbers. It can be encountered as a solitary beast carrying off children and draining livestock, or in hunting flocks ranging in size from small to vast that can menace a poorly-prepared community. Few chupacabra of this wild and unsapient nature acquire occupational templates, but an especially old and cagey one playing cat-and-mouse with a ranching village for years might be a Stalker, and legends speak of the Dire Chupacabra...

~~~~~

ĦUn Chupacabra Muy Grande! (Greater Worthy)

Like a huge dog, the size of a horse, with glowing red eyes, three huge fangs, and leathery bat wings!

Code:
ST 21	 HP 21      Speed 5.25
DX 10	 Will 11    Move 5 (10 Flying)
IQ 5	 Per 12
HT 11	 FP 11      SM +2 (3 Hexes)
Dodge 8	 Parry 9    DR 2*
Bite (12): 2d+2 Imp + Blood Leech

Traits: Claws (Climbing/Perching Accessory); Confusion (Visual); Discriminatory Smell; DR x2 (Tough Skin); Flying (Winged); Fur; Leech x9 (Blood w/ Fangs); Night Vision x5; Quadruped; Striking ST +2 (Biting Only); Temperature Tolerance x1; Uncontrollable Appetite (9-) (Blood); Wild Animal;

Skills: Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-12; Stealth (A) DX+2 [8]-12;

Special Powers: Confusion (Magic); ĦLeech x9! (Biological)

Class: Monster

Notes: Here's the exact same monster only made huge with the Greater Dire Animal template, with the appetite to drain an entire herd of cattle and the strength to carry off a small delver. Its bite drains 9 HP/round, and heals 3. Throw a whole flock of these babies at your high-level party when they get cocky about fighting dumb animals, with skeletons mounted on them (light-weight + No Blood = Chupacabra Jockey) for the awesome-looking air cavalry of your Necromancer's badass invasion force (they leave nice, intact corpses for zombification!). Slap on the Basic Stalker and Greater Hardy Brute templates for a ravenous solitary monster with an outsized environmental footprint approaching a small dragon's in scope (but nothing near the same tactical challenge, being more like a pig or really sharp collie in intellect) that could terrorize an entire region of normals solo until some low-level heroes come along to put it down for the prestige (but sadly not much in the way of loot, unless some previous heroes who attempted and failed to slay the beast died with nice things on them...)

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 08-13-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #143
Gold & Appel Inc

El Chupacabra Diabolico (Lesser Boss)

Like a big dog, only with three huge fangs, leathery bat wings... and the gleam of malevolent sapience in its glowing red eyes. Once just a lowly and humble chupacabra separated from its flock, El Chupacabra Diabolico hunted and killed a monkey in the darkest jungle, draining its blood greedily and spilling it down the face of the ancient, profane altar to a forgotten Blood God worshipped by a fallen race. The God stirred in his sleep ever so briefly and looked kindly upon the blind, stupid creature's unintentional offering, touching its simple mind with his own and imparting a fraction of himself into it. Now it travels in the darkness with a new purpose, and its master's cult is growing...

Code:
ST 12	   HP 12      Speed 6.0
DX 13	   Will 18     Move 6 (12 Flying)
IQ 12	   Per 20
HT 11	   FP 13       SM +0
Dodge 10   Parry 14    DR 0
Bite (20): 1d Imp + Blood Leech

Traits: Awe (Visual); Bloodlust (12-), Claws (Climbing/Perching Accessory); Clerical Investment; Combat Reflexes; Discriminatory Smell; Dread (Holy Objects / Places - 1yd); Flying (Winged); Fur; Leech x3 (Blood w/ Fangs); Megalomania; Night Vision x8; Power Investiture x5 (Unholy); Quadruped; Striking ST +2 (Biting Only); Temperature Tolerance x1; Uncontrollable Appetite (9-) (Blood);

Skills: Brawling (E) DX+7 [24]-20; Leadership (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Stealth (A) DX+4 [16]-17; Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; Traps (A) IQ [2]-12; Theology (H) (Blood God) IQ+8 [36]-20;

Spells: Unholy! IQ+8 [60]-20;

Special Powers: Awe (Unholy); Blood Caster x3 (Unholy); Leech x3 (Biological)

Class: Unholy

Notes: Truly Evil, but willing to negotiate if it serves its purposes. Just like the regular chupacabra, above, but dropping Wild Animal, with Confusion swapped out for Awe, and the addition of the Basic Caster, Basic Killer, Basic Stalker, Clever Trickster, Archcaster x4, and Blood Caster x3 templates. It's not much tougher than a regular chupacabra (other than its uncanny precision with its hungry fangs), but it's smart enough to avoid direct confrontations, using its mobility and minions (particularly a huge swarm of regular chupacabra, plus some mad cultists and a few lesser clerics) to insulate it from hostilities, and its magical power is considerable (especially once it starts sacrificing people).

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 08-13-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #144
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Currently on my Art Todo List (also known as "list of excuses to play around on the computer")
  • Demon (Generic, Worthy) - who doesn't like demons?
  • Succubus (Greater Worthy) - there are a metric button of resources for attractive scantily dressed demon-women on the Internet. Of course. I can't NOT do a Succubus because now I finally have a reason to use them.
  • Hell Knight (Lesser Boss) - finally! a reason why I bought that gothic armor...

You may notice a theme here.

I have a hoard of stuff I've been impulse buying "because it might be useful for illustrating incidents from our (dungeon) fantasy games one day". I haven't actually used most of it even once. It's like buying Magic cards, only they're easier to store...
Could you tokenize the ones you're doing? I was surprised that the nice art shots you have don't include some top-down shots.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #145
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Could you tokenize the ones you're doing? I was surprised that the nice art shots you have don't include some top-down shots.
Top down shots? For book illustrations?

I mean, I can make them tokens, but I was doing book illustrations.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #146
tjmiller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Goblin-Kin

Code:
ST: 10      HP: 11    Speed: 6
DX: 12      Will: 10  Move:  6
IQ: 9       Per: 11
HT: 11      FP: 11    SM: -0
Dodge: 9   Parry: NA  DR:  0
Bow DX [4]-12
With 4 points and a DX of 12, the Goblin would know Bow at DX+1 or Skill Level 13 because Bow is an average skill. Just thought I'd point it out.

-Josep Brewer

......(\_/)
......( '_')
..../""""""""""""\====░ ▒▓▓█D
/"""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@_/
tjmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #147
vierasmarius

I figured I'd try my hand at some monster design, and resurrect this thread at the same time. Here goes:

Lizard Man Hunter (Worthy)
An experienced, though unexceptional, hunter from a lizardman swamp tribe.

Code:
ST: 14		HP: 12		Speed: 6.25
DX: 14		Will: 9		Move: 7
IQ: 10		Per: 13
HT: 11		FP: 11		SM: -0
Dodge: 10	Parry: 12	DR: 4*
Claws and Teeth (17): 1d-1 cut, Reach C
Tail (15): 1d+1 cr, Reach C
Spear (16/15): 1d+3 imp, Reach 1,2* (Acc 2, Range 14/21, RoF 1(1))

Traits: Combat Reflexes, Disturbing Voice, Loner (6, -4), Night Vision 3, Nictitating Membrane 2, Obsession (Kill specific PC race), Peripheral Vision, Temperature Tolerance 3, Terrain Adaption (Swamp)

Skills: Brawl DX+3 [8]-17, Spear DX+2 [8]-16, Stealth DX+2 [8]-16, Tactics IQ+3 [12]-13, Traps IQ+2 [8]-12, Thrown Weapon (Spear) DX+1 [4]-15

Class: Mundane (Reptilian)

Notes: Willing to negotiate as long as he doesn't encounter the object of his Obsession. Wears Light Layered Leather to supplement his Tough Skin. This armor is not fitted for humans.

Made by adding Basic Stalker, Cunning Stalker and Basic Killer to the Lizard Man template in DF 3. Gave increases to Spear and Thrown Weapon in place of the normal weapon skills of Basic Killer. An expert hunter might add Elegent Killer, Swift Stalker, Assassin Stalker or Clever Trickster.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #148
gmjasongurps

wow. cant wait to throw some of this stuff at my players!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #149
vierasmarius

Here's another quick build, with an obvious literary / cinematic inspiration.

Oliphant (Boss)
A massive Elephant trained for siege actions.
Code:
ST: 85		HP: 105		Speed: 3.5
DX: 12		Will: 12	Move: 3 (6)
IQ: 5		Per: 8
HT: 15		FP: 15	SM: +5
Dodge: 7	Parry: 10	DR: 13*
Tusks (15): 9d+20 cr, Reach C-5 (Power Blow 18d+36 cr)
Trunk (15): 4d+5 cr, Reach C-5
Trample (15): 9d+2 cr, Reach C

Traits: Domestic, Enhanced Move 1, Hard to Kill +3, High Pain Threshhold, Peripheral Vision, Quadruped (One Arm), Trunk (Extra-Flexible, 1/2 ST), Weak Bite

Skills: Brawling DX+3 [8]-15, Wrestling DX+1 [4]-13, Power Blow Will+4 [20]-16

Class: Mundane (Pachyderm)

Notes: Massive and slow moving, its handlers tend to point it at an enemy formation or fortification and set it loose. It's much larger than a normal elephant, massing around 50 tons and standing 6 meters tall at the shoulder.

Made by adding 2 x Giant Beast, Brute, Greater Hardy Brute and Power Killer to a modified Elephant (size and ST adjusted to be more realistic). The SM increase of Giant Beast was dropped to +1 total, to keep it in line with the overall ST. While its Tough Skin is nearly impenetrable to mundane attacks, it is still vulnerable to Blunt Trauma. It may also have thinner hide around the belly, neck and joints (treat as Chinks).

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #150
Bruno

So I got distracted for three months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
  • Demon (Generic, Worthy) - who doesn't like demons? Done.
Not a terrible amount of progress here. :/ I'm picking this back up again along with toying with some other things.

I really need to do that Succubus.

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, homebrew, monsters