Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #41
Mailanka

Default Re: [DF] Homebrew Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
Wow, you should post this in a website or something for easy access. (or on a Blog and RPG bloggers). Homebrew stuff like this should find a larger market :D
Oh I intend to. I've put together far too much material to just leave sitting on my hard drive (for all kinds of systems). Presenting this here is sort of my first step before placing it on my website.

When I have more on there, I'll put a link in my signature.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #42
Mailanka

Goblin-Kin
Heroes expect to face the Goblin-Kin in battle. The gruesome tusks and growling faces of orcs loom luridly in dungeons and the fate of kidnapped damsels is written in the dull, ugly features of Half-orcs. Goblins scurry and growl beneath the feet of their heavier kin and massive hobgoblins tower and roar before the horde that stands ready, like a black and green tide, to rampage through human civilization.

Goblin-kin run the gamut from civilized to monstrous, with Orc cities and Goblin merchants standing side-by-side with bone-filled, graffiti marked orcish dungeons filled with barbaric kin. The monsters detailed here are the latter sort and do not represent the whole of goblin-kind. These are the brutish, nameless green-skin masses that die by the dozens on heroic blades.

While many listed here will be Worthy, consider lowering them to Fodder as the heroes rise up the ranks. Orcs seldom challenge heroes forever, except for other, orcish heroes. Eventually, they dwindle to mere foot soldiers of evil while the heroes ride out to face graver threats.

Goblin Skirmisher (Lesser Fodder)
The smaller (though not tiny), frightened lesser kindred of the Orcs, Goblins aren't good for much but running away, so some clever Orcs gave the most cowardly some bows and arrows and asked them to at least shoot arrows while they were running away.

Goblin skirmishers play to their strengths, carefully laying ambush and then attack, but the instant anything goes south, the goblins will panic and run. Some have been known to panic and run at the sight of the heroes, who are bewildered by the sudden sight of brush and trees erupting with well-armed, previously hidden goblins racing the other direction screaming and waving their arms in panic.
Code:
ST: 10      HP: 11    Speed: 6
DX: 12      Will: 10  Move:  6
IQ: 9       Per: 11
HT: 11      FP: 11    SM: -0
Dodge: 9   Parry: NA  DR:  0
Sharp Teeth (12): 1d-3 cutting
Short Bow (12): 1d-2 impaling, (Acc 1, Range 100/150, RoF 1(2))

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Cowardice (6, -4 Fright Checks), Infravision, Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3),

Skills: Stealth DX+2 [8]-14, Bow DX [4]-12

Class: Mundane (Goblin-Kin)

Notes: Goblins are as likely to simply collapse out of terror when struck, and quite a few will “survive” death. Consider rolling stealth to see how well they fake it. Always willing to negotiate, and in fact, only fight at all because bigger goblins force them to.
Goblin Berserker (Fodder)
Some Goblins choose a different solution to their cowardice: the get so hopped up on mushrooms that they foam at the mouth and rush their foes in a berserker frenzy, dying even while kicking and screeching at their foes. The sight of a short goblin wielding a club nearly as big as itself strikes many delvers as so humorous that they the actual lethality of their blows takes them by surprise.
Code:
ST: 12/13   HP: 11    Speed: 5.5
DX: 11      Will: 10  Move:  5
IQ: 9       Per: 10
Dodge: 8   Parry: 9*  DR:  0

Sharp Teeth (14): 1d cutting
Big Club (12): 1d+6 crushing, unready after attacking, -1 due to lack of strength.

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Berserker, Cowardice (12 -2 Fright Checks, mitigator: mushrooms), Infravision, Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3),

Skills: Brawl DX+3 [8]-14, Two-Handed Axe/Mace DX+2[8]-13

Notes: Goblin Berserkers rush their foes, giving no thought to defense, and always All-Out Attack, usually Strong or Determined, rather than Double (as they wield unbalanced weapons). Incapable of negotiation while drugged. If the players manage to end or outlast the berserk rage, the goblins are again subject to cowardice and generally just scream and run away.
Goblin Taskmaster (Lesser Worthy)
Goblins are smart, at least compared to other goblin-kin. Half the reason they're so scared all the time is that they know they're gonna die and really would rather not. Hence goblins tend to prefer cushy positions such as conjurers, performers and merchants, generally anything less lethal than “necromancer's henchman.”

Still, occasionally one of the brainy goblins finds his way into the service of some dungeon master, and his fellow goblin-kin hand him the reigns to power, giving him dominion over the rest of his goblin brothers (though never the orcs or kobolds. Perish the thought!). Unfortunately, nobody listens to him. At least he gets a big, pointy hat to wear while shouting orders that everyone ignores before his own survival instinct kicks in and he goes racing away. Big, pointy hats are nice.

Code:
ST: 10      HP: 11    Speed: 5.25
DX: 10      Will: 14  Move:  5
IQ: 13      Per: 17
Dodge: 8   Parry: 8   DR:  0
Sharp Teeth (10): 1d-3 cutting
Goblin Dagger (12): 1d-3 impaling

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Cowardice (12 -2 Fright Checks), Infravision, Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3),

Skills: Knife DX+2 [4]-12, Fast Talk IQ+3 [8]-16, Tactics IQ-1 [2]-12, Traps IQ [2]-13

Notes: If Goblin Taskmasters have time to prepare ahead of time, allow them to make a tactics roll to exploit the heroes disadvantages, or a trap roll to set up a clever trap. Goblin Taskmasters know the strength of Goblin Infravision, so will prefer to set up night-ambushes. Perfectly willing to negotiate, especially if pinned down. Very good at it too.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #43
Mailanka

(Goblin-kin cont'd)

Orc Warrior (Worthy)
These are the orcs people expect to see in battle: ruthless, furious, tough and deadly, raging across the battlefield swinging a huge axe and carving his way through soldier and civilian alike until he grows bored and carts away his prize in loot and women. These hulking warriors take up the front line in goblin hoards, smacking the heads of unruly goblins and urging the hobgoblins forward.
Many Orc Warriors are weaker fodder. This represents a skilled orc warrior.
Code:
ST: 13      HP: 20    Speed: 6.75
DX: 11      Will: 12  Move:  6
IQ: 9       Per: 10
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: -0
Dodge: 10  Parry: 11* DR:  2*

Punch (15): 1d crushing
Great Axe (15): 2d+2 cutting (Unready after attack)

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Bad Temper (12), Bully (12), Combat Reflexes, Extra Attack (Multi-Strike), Infravision, High Pain Threshold, Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3), Sense of Duty (Orcs)

Skills: Brawl DX+4 [12]-15, Two-Handed Axe/Mace DX+4 [16]-15

Notes: The warrior's huge axe can only attack once before it needs to ready, so spend the orc's main action readying his axe, and his extra attack swinging with it, meaning you get an attack every turn. Don't worry about parrying with it: that's what you have dodge, high pain threshold and 20 HP for. Generally unwilling to negotiate. Generally wears leather armor (heroes may loot). Great Axe is cheap.
Orc Hunter (Worthy)
Not every orc is a death-dealing warmachine at the front of the army. Some have more cunning and grace. These are grim orcs with black eyes and grimy skin that vanish into the shadows to stalk their prey. These orcs, sometimes called black Orcs, tend to creep out other orcs, which is fine by them, as they don't prefer the company of their kin. Just corpses. Steaming, hot, freshly killed corpses.
Code:
ST: 12      HP: 14    Speed: 6.25
DX: 14      Will: 10  Move:  6
IQ: 9       Per: 13
Dodge: 10  Parry: 12* DR:  0

Punch (17): 1d-1 crushing
Throwing Axe (18/16): 1d+4 cutting, (Acc 2, Range 14/21, RoF 1(1))

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Bully (12), Bloodlust (12), Combat Reflexes, Infravision, Loner (6), Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3), Silence 2,

Skills: Stealth DX+3[8]-17, Axe/Mace DX+4 [16]-18, Brawl DX+3[8]-17, Thrown Axe/Mace DX+2 [4]-16

Notes: The throwing axe can be used in melee too, but it can't parry and attack in the same turn (“Unbalanced”). Generally unwilling to negotiate (and you shouldn't see him coming in any case). Like to ride dire wolves.

Hobgoblin Breaker (Worthy)

These enormous, hulking hobgoblins stare in simplistic rage at all they see. Bred and fed from young ages on the blood of enemies and the fury of warfare, they have become mindless killing machines which fellow orcs can carefully point at their enemies and then prod forward, to kill and slay all that he sees. They may be simple, dangerously unbalanced, prone to killing entire swathes of their own comrades in a fit of rage, but they're some of the best the orcs have (and hey, what's a few goblins between friends?)
Code:
ST: 19/12   HP: 25    Speed: 5.5
DX: 11      Will: 12  Move:  5
IQ: 8       Per: 10
HT: 13      FP: 13    SM: -0
Dodge: 8   Parry: 10* DR:  3*
Tusks (14): 2d-1 impaling
Great Axe(15): 4d+2 cutting (Unbalanced)

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Bad Temper (6), Berserk, Infravision, High Pain Threshold, Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3),

Skills: Brawl DX+3 [12]-14, Two-Handed Axe/Mace DX+4 [16]-15, Power Blow Will+4 [20]-16

Notes: Never parries with its axe. Often wears bits of scavenged chain, leather and plate for a total of +3 DR. Both axe and armor are Cheap. His great axe is unbalanced rather than unready due to his great strength. Unwilling to negotiate. Truly stupid.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #44
Mailanka

I think that's all for tonight. I need to sleep at some point.

I'll be back tomorrow to round this all out with the Undead, some miscellaneous monsters, and a spell quick-ref chart (common monster spells, their page number, and their pre-req count for Spell College Wild Card skills) for those who want to use these casters.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #45
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I think that's all for tonight. I need to sleep at some point.

I'll be back tomorrow to round this all out with the Undead, some miscellaneous monsters, and a spell quick-ref chart (common monster spells, their page number, and their pre-req count for Spell College Wild Card skills) for those who want to use these casters.
Fine days work!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #46
b-dog

One whine I have about goblins is that I feel they should be the sneaky ones who scout ahead and alert their more combat worthy brethren the orcs and hobgoblins. They should also be mischievious as well, often thinking of creative ambushes and traps for the party. Maybe they would be on lookout and leave a treasure chest in a room filled with gold and when they spot the PCs trying to get the treasure they will sound the alarm and orcs and hobgoblins will boil out of a secret door.

At least for me goblins should be the stealthy, sneaky ones who are more than happy to inform their more powerful combat siblings. Of course they should also be curious of magic as well so they would also fill the role of magic user in an orc nest.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #47
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One whine I have about goblins is that I feel they could be the sneaky ones who scout ahead and alert their more combat worthy brethren the orcs and hobgoblins. They could also be mischievious as well, often thinking of creative ambushes and traps for the party. Maybe they would be on lookout and leave a treasure chest in a room filled with gold and when they spot the PCs trying to get the treasure they will sound the alarm and orcs and hobgoblins will boil out of a secret door.

At least for me goblins should be the stealthy, sneaky ones who are more than happy to inform their more powerful combat siblings. Of course they could also be curious of magic as well so they would also fill the role of magic user in an orc nest.
There, fixed it for you. ;P

Really, I could see Goblins in many roles, but I really don't mind Mailankas take on them. In fact, I really like it.
It feels refreshingly new, yet oh so very familar.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #48
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One whine I have about goblins is that I feel they should be the sneaky ones who scout ahead and alert their more combat worthy brethren the orcs and hobgoblins. They should also be mischievious as well, often thinking of creative ambushes and traps for the party. Maybe they would be on lookout and leave a treasure chest in a room filled with gold and when they spot the PCs trying to get the treasure they will sound the alarm and orcs and hobgoblins will boil out of a secret door.

At least for me goblins should be the stealthy, sneaky ones who are more than happy to inform their more powerful combat siblings. Of course they should also be curious of magic as well so they would also fill the role of magic user in an orc nest.
If only somebody had spent hours creating an entire thread with multiple, nuanced versions of easy-to-use templates that address your exact desires such as "Stalker," "Trickster," and "Caster" that you could spend three seconds slapping onto the stats you're using for Goblins and have exactly what you want...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #49
martinl

Wow.

Great work.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #50
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
If only somebody had spent hours creating an entire thread with multiple, nuanced versions of easy-to-use templates that address your exact desires such as "Stalker," "Trickster," and "Caster" that you could spend three seconds slapping onto the stats you're using for Goblins and have exactly what you want...
I was going to say something similar, only slightly less sarcastic :P

At the end of the thread, I'll show you how I put these guys together with an example, for anyone who's still a little lost by this big info dump.

Really, don't take my monsters as gospel truth "this is how DF is meant to be." Some, like the snow snake thing, were designed based on how our world worked, and how our group worked. We have, for example, pretty dragons and a brooding, sexy demon lord because we had players who really liked those sorts of things. Our goblins have a strong Warhammer vibe because we like Warhammer goblins. If you want something different, you should make it different.

This is about tools, rather than hard stats. As people have discussed in other threads, every GURPS player wants a different thing. I'm hoping the tools in this thread help make it easier for people to make their own monsters. The bestiary itself is more of an example, as I show you how you might put them together, as well as a resource for people who just need something now. Need a dragon? Well, there's Chevalier. Need a specific dragon? Well, there's the generic dragon template, and any monster role templates you care to add. Maybe a bunch of killer templates for a terrifically lethal red dragon, or something.

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, homebrew, monsters