Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Need Zeppelin Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I've never seen that evidence. What I have seen is two recreations of the skin where it burned quickly and at high temperature.
Somebody dug up this article and cited it on wikipedia. I haven't read it in full and am not particularly qualified to assess its technical matter.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #32
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Somebody dug up this article and cited it on wikipedia. I haven't read it in full and am not particularly qualified to assess its technical matter.
Hrm, no evidence just theory and what looks like strawmanning of the other theory it's trying to "disprove".

Ignition may have been of mixed hydrogen and air first rather than directly of the skin but the fabric skin covered in aluminum paint was very definitely flammable. As I've said you can see huge areas in the newsreel footage where it had very quickly burned away.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Hrm, no evidence just theory and what looks like strawmanning of the other theory it's trying to "disprove".

Ignition may have been of mixed hydrogen and air first rather than directly of the skin but the fabric skin covered in aluminum paint was very definitely flammable. As I've said you can see huge areas in the newsreel footage where it had very quickly burned away.
The skin burning away quickly is expected by either model, so it doesn't support one over the other.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #34
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhippensteel View Post
We are starting a Steampunk based campaign but we can't find information on the various airships made by the various nations. Does anyone know what books that might be contained in?
Brian Underhill has a chapter on airships in GURPS Classic All Star Jam 2004 (pp. 87-100). It's mostly theory and history, without much in the way of statistics (though it does cover Graf Zeppelin in some detail).
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #35
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
While there seems to be evidence that the Hindenburg incendiary paint hypothesis doesn't hold up, that doesn't mean that fire isn't dangerous to non-hydrogen-filled aircraft, lighter-than-air or otherwise.
Hindenburg: The Untold Story went into the Occam's Razor solution to the disaster.

It was effectively perfect storm of events: a storm that delayed arrival and caused a static electric build up, a sharp turn that resulted in a snapped cable that intern slashed open a gag bag, and the rope lines becoming wet allow a spark to be triggered.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote