Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default Looking for a misplaced rule...

Object Health (HT). Specifically for the purpose of targeting an object with an affliction (which isn't going to cause a metabolic result but a magical one). Can someone give me a page reference to where I would find this in Characters or Campaigns?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Looking for a misplaced rule...

Object HT is discussed under Damage to Objects (p. B483), specifically in the "Health (HT)" run-in heading in the middle column. Given the reason why you're looking for this rule, you may find Afflictions and Inanimate Targets (Powers, p. 40) of value as well.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Object HT is discussed under Damage to Objects (p. B483), specifically in the "Health (HT)" run-in heading in the middle column. Given the reason why you're looking for this rule, you may find Afflictions and Inanimate Targets (Powers, p. 40) of value as well.
Thank you so much. I'd been hunting and missing them.

Follow up question, would Only on non-living objects be an appropriate -10% accessibility limitation? (I've built others with Only Living Targets at -10% so I figure they mirror each other well)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Thank you so much. I'd been hunting and missing them.

Follow up question, would Only on non-living objects be an appropriate -10% accessibility limitation? (I've built others with Only Living Targets at -10% so I figure they mirror each other well)
I'd probably want to consider what the subject of the modifier is. It seems more appropriate to base it on the fraction of likely targets ruled out than the fraction of theoretically possible targets...
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd probably want to consider what the subject of the modifier is. It seems more appropriate to base it on the fraction of likely targets ruled out than the fraction of theoretically possible targets...
I don't see how this is any different.... these are contact agent melee afflictions... I may increase the non-living limitation as I may have to build a different alternate version for places instead of things... but...
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I don't see how this is any different....
The difference comes in when you consider the likely hood of the character to use the attack on a group of targets based on the genre conventions.

IE: A Mental Possession Attack wouldn't get a -10% (Only On Living Targets) from me, unless there were non-living targets that could actually be mentally possessed.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The difference comes in when you consider the likely hood of the character to use the attack on a group of targets based on the genre conventions.

IE: A Mental Possession Attack wouldn't get a -10% (Only On Living Targets) from me, unless there were non-living targets that could actually be mentally possessed.
Ah, yes. I see. This is an ability that creates a mystic bond with anything you touch and chose to make a bond with. (Scion's Guardian Purview power Vigil Brand.) I'm choosing to adapt it as a set of abilities, one for living targets and one for non-living targets because I want the resistance to be different etc. But it is for /anything/ really.