Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
lvalero

Default DF: Detect lines of power

I am creating a Diplomat/Spy class for my DF/Fantasy campaign and I and want to give him some cool powers!

Detect lines of power

You can detect who is in charge. Who is really in charge, the second in command and so on. For any group of people you only need to observe them for a brief moment to detect the power relations. You know the power/authority relations are not always easy to tell!. Make a PER-based roll (GM may substitute this roll with a Observation roll or a Savoir-Faire PER roll if it is better for you). If somebody is faking his "authority" make a Quick Contest roll against his Acting skill.

--

This power is not magical but it is supposed to be "highly" cinematic. For example if the King, the Nobles and the Favourite Courtesan are present in the court, the PC could tell that "Evil Duke" is really in charge, followed by the Favourite Courtesan and then by the King, only by seeing them act.

How would you build this ability? Detect (Lines of Power)? Mind Probe (Only to question about authority)? A combination of both, or maybe a technique of Observation with an UB?

Can you help me building it?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: DF: Detect lines of power

As a Technique, it really should require more time. If you can work out the power relationships in seconds, without any requirements about everyone interacting, I'd make it a Detect power, which would have to be have a power modifier, such as Magical, in a DF context. That saves arguments about the court wizard's mental defences.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
lvalero

Thanks for the reply!

Detect Magic, undead and electric fields are "Occasional". I suppose that "authority" could be priced as occasional also. Rolling against Observation or Savoir-Faire could be a "Feature +0%". The rolling against Acting could be ... I don't know ... maybe a Limitation -10%. Detect, by RAW, doesn't seem to be "resistible"

I am not sure if I want the "Analyze" part of detection. It could spoil some fun and misteries of the adventure! As "Vague" is -50% I suppose that "You can detect the lines of power and direction, but you can't analyze them" can be priced at -25%. I haven't seen a suitable limitation in Basic of Powers.

I am still not sure if Mind Probe is better than Detect. I suppose I need more opinions! :)
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Humans are social creatures, so I'd call all aspects of power relationships to be very common.
Though you may get odd results watching me and finding that my cats are the ones truly in charge. Ha.
Unless you mean only power as literal ability to give direct orders.

Since it's described as visual, you should probably put that as a limitation.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
dcarson

Don't have books handy to put in exact numbers but

Empathy (Vision Based, Takes Extra Time, Requires Skill Roll, Power Relationships Only -x%)
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

This is clearly a simply reflavored down Illuminated.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote