Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Vehicle Builder

Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Ieldra

Default GVB: How to remove an unnecessary weapon loader

I'm building a small one-person vehicle. I'd like to add a beam weapon facing forward and controlled by the pilot through a neural interface.
When I add any beam weapon to the vehicle, my crew requirement goes up by one "weapon loader". This is a beam weapon - it doesn't need a loader. How can I remove the necessity for this unnecessary crew member?

(When I override the total crew, the "weapon loader" remains in the description, so that's no solution)
Ieldra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
tjoneslo

Default Re: GVB: How to remove an unnecessary weapon loader

GVB's default description of all weapon operators is a loader. If you want to change the description, press F11 to show the Edit Crew dialog, check the Custom Crew Description and create your own, correct, description.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Ieldra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo
GVB's default description of all weapon operators is a loader. If you want to change the description, press F11 to show the Edit Crew dialog, check the Custom Crew Description and create your own, correct, description.
Yes, I can do that. But it will get complicated for very large vehicles with many weapons. And I don't like it that the necessary crew overview doesn't take such a common-sense non-requirement into account. Is there a way to make GVB omit the weapon loader for certain weapons, or is it hard-coded.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
tjoneslo

No. The beam weapons templates are hard coded, and the weapon crew requirements are, despite making not much sense in this case, fairly explicit. Which is why GVB produces the output it does.

My only suggestion would be that under the weapons > custom weapons repostitory there is a "TL9 beam weapon" template. If you make a copy of this template (duplicate it), then edit the Damage, 1/2D range, Max Range, Weight, power, and cost formula to insert the values from Vehicles for which ever beam weapon type you want to build. The advantage to this template is two fold. First the crew requirement has been set to 0, meaning there is no more weapon loader in the crew requirements. Second, this is a more normal template meaning the links may make more sense to you.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Ieldra

Thanks. I'll experiment with the templates, then. :( I did hope I wouldn't have to get into template editing....