Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
ugmoe

Default How to decide what is played first? Is it speed of hand?

Hello,

We've been playing Munchkin for a week.

My question is:
I played the "Nose" during the "Look For Trouble" phase.
I then played "Halitosis" which defeats the Nose.
Someone else said that they wanted to play the Friendship card on the Nose so that I would not get the level and win the game.

Is that legitimate - which card takes effect first?

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time after playing the monster before I can play something which defeats the monster?

Thanks!

Last edited by ugmoe; 01-03-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Changed Pollymorph to Friendship
ugmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: How to decide what is played first? Is it speed of hand?

Whichever card hits the table first is the first one to be resolved. The next card cannot be played until the first is fully resolved (and the other player might change their mind and not play a card, depending what the first was).

The only time you need to give your opponents time to do something is when you think you have won a combat by beating the remaining monsters' combat strength. You must give reasonable time after you declare you can beat the remaining monsters for others to do things before you start gathering your rewards for winning the combat.

Last edited by Clipper; 01-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
ugmoe

Thanks!

Does that apply to other cards also?

So - if I play "Floating Nose" and then "Potion of Halitosis" which defeats the "Floating Nose" does that mean it is then too late for Pollymorph or Transferal or Mate or Wandering Monster?

Tom
ugmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Blazinjsin

It would be too late to play other cards to stop you from killing the Floating nose, but you do still have to give people a chance to play other cards afterward since that does not immediately end combat. Wandering Monster could still be used for example, or Laughing Gas from Apocalypse to keep you from getting the level.
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Brf

There would be no monster left for Pollymorph or Mate. Someone could play Wandering Monster to add another monster though.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Clipper

To complete the set of cards you mention, Transferral Potion would also work after a Wandering Monster had been added, but the level and Treasure for killing the Floating Nose would still go to the player that actually killed it.

There's only one card I know of that can stop you killing the Floating Nose with the Halitosis Potion, which is Annihilation. It is worded especially to cancel the playing of any card. Only cards that say they can cancel something or that they are played when a particular event happens can interrupt the resolution of other played cards, and Annihilation is the only card I'm aware of that interrupts the playing of a card.