Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
ashareem

Default Converter from GCA 2?

While cleaning up old files on CDs and old drives, I've come across several really old character sheets from GCA2 (at least that's what I think they are, and what GCA4 tells me they are - they have a .GCS extension.) I've tried just opening them in GCA4, but it errors.

Is there an easy way to convert these? I no longer have a copy of GCA2.

I'm aware of the GCS app, but I've never used it, so I don't think these are from it.

Last edited by ashareem; 09-29-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: additional info
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Converter from GCA 2?

Hmmm. .GCS is the extension used for character print sheets in GCA4, but GCA2 used .FLX. I can't actually think of anything in old versions that used .GCS, but I may just be blanking on it.

If you want to post a chunk of the beginning of such a file here, or email one of them to me at gca4 at misersoft dot com, I can take a look and see if it rings any bells.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Hmmm. .GCS is the extension used for character print sheets in GCA4, but GCA2 used .FLX. I can't actually think of anything in old versions that used .GCS, but I may just be blanking on it.
I'll have to find the CD that had them.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post

If you want to post a chunk of the beginning of such a file here, or email one of them to me at gca4 at misersoft dot com, I can take a look and see if it rings any bells.
And I figured out what the issue was - they were apparently GCA files that had been saved from a website, and the website added scripting to the file header. Cleaned out all of that, corrected the file extension to GCA4 and they work just fine. DOH!

Thanks!

Last edited by ashareem; 10-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.