Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #11
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant Updated to Version 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashareem View Post
Does the GCA4 version need to be uninstalled before installing the new one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
No, you can install and run them side by side.
As Stormcrow said. However, Do NOT install GCA5 into the same folder as GCA4!
Old 02-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Will this update allow me to experiment with Alternate Attributes? I really want to use Quintessence as the base skill for supernatural stuff.
You could do that with GCA4 already.

If you're asking if GCA will somehow know what skills should be adjusted to work with Quintessence, then no, you still have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
Wish you have been able to break out of the Windows box... like I have players who do not have computers, they have tablets and phones. Really wish, even if it was just a 'viewer' that allowed for like changing current HP, FP, etc., for mobile app/web app that works with phones and tablets.
I personally don't have enough time to work on that without it being a paying job, because I have to eat. I think maybe the web app GCalc (GURPS Calculator) does that kind of thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
I get that the exporters and sheets are not supported, but are the actual character supported?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
You can load GCA4 characters into GCA5 with the normal File > Open. But it's a one-way conversion: when you save the character, you must save it as a GCA5 character.
What Stormcrow said.

Last edited by Armin; 02-08-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #13
corwyn

Presumably, GCA 4 data sheets aren't compatible. Is there an easy way to convert the old sheets?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #14
Armin
GCA Prime

If a more Official answer to either of these gets posted, I may delete my responses here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I purchased it from Warehouse 23, but back in the days when one could acquire such things on - gasp - CD. Hence, it's not part of my download library (although I am of course a registered user). Is there any easy way for me to get hold of the new version?
My understanding is that there is no effective way for SJGames to provide the free upgrade to users that do not have GCA4 in their Warehouse 23 download library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I have a question if you don't mind. How many licenses do you get with a purchase, I use a laptop and a home computer for my game can I put the program on both with only one purchase?

I will be purchasing a copy, I just need to know how many.
I believe that we go with this view:

If the possibility exists that more than one copy might be in use at the same time, we ask that you buy additional licenses to cover that. Otherwise, you're fine installing it where you need it.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Presumably, GCA 4 data sheets aren't compatible. Is there an easy way to convert the old sheets?
If you mean the data files, then GCA5 reads those written for GCA4 without trouble (GCA5 was developed using GCA4 data). GCA5 *is* more finicky about certain types of data and certain expressions, so some data that may actually have been wrong in GCA4, but worked in some fashion anyway, may not work right in GCA5.

Almost everything included right now is from the GCA4 data files, and I'm slowly updating them as I have time and find things that need adjustment.

If you mean character sheets, then no.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #16
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
If you mean the data files, then GCA5 reads those written for GCA4 without trouble (GCA5 was developed using GCA4 data). GCA5 *is* more finicky about certain types of data and certain expressions, so some data that may actually have been wrong in GCA4, but worked in some fashion anyway, may not work right in GCA5.

Almost everything included right now is from the GCA4 data files, and I'm slowly updating them as I have time and find things that need adjustment.

If you mean character sheets, then no.
Yeah I meant data files. That is exceptional news.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #17
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
The incredibly popular GURPS Character Assistant has been updated to Version 5.

If you have purchased this software previously via Warehouse 23, you can download the new version at no additional cost from your Warehouse 23 download library.
Just to be clear, I have two entries in my download library one is GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) (SJG31-4001-4L) 12.5MB, which I assume is the old one. Then there is GURPS Character Assistant (SJG31-4001) at 16.9 MB which I guess is the new shiny one?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:37 PM   #18
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Just to be clear, I have two entries in my download library one is GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) (SJG31-4001-4L) 12.5MB, which I assume is the old one. Then there is GURPS Character Assistant (SJG31-4001) at 16.9 MB which I guess is the new shiny one?
Yes, that is correct.

The new GCA takes over the official SKU, while the old one became the Legacy version.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:27 AM   #19
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I purchased it from Warehouse 23, but back in the days when one could acquire such things on - gasp - CD. Hence, it's not part of my download library (although I am of course a registered user). Is there any easy way for me to get hold of the new version?
I also bought the original on CD. For $16.00 I can buy the new version, and Armin has earned his share with all the work he has put into GCA over the years.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #20
MeddlingMonk

If we already had the beta installed, do we need to re-install the final version, or will it update itself?
MeddlingMonk is offline   Reply With Quote